Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Before There Was Either Rock OR Roll (An Occasional Series): Special Words Fail Me Edition

So if you've been here since my Friday post on the wonders of the flapper era tv series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, you are aware that of late I've been sort of obsessing on pre-rock (specifically, from the 20s to the early 30s) American pop music.

So, in that spirit, please behold in breathless wonder the paralytically sexy and talented Margot Bingham...


...on HBO's Roaring '20s gangster show Boardwalk Empire, performing George Gershwin's 1924 classic "Somebody Loves Me."

As it was always meant to be performed.



I'm embarrassed to say I've never watched the show -- I think I may have seen a few minutes from the premiere episode, at some point, mostly because it was directed by Martin Scorsese. But for whatever reason, it just didn't grab me.

That said, I'm told Ms. Bingham figures prominently on the most recent season, and if so I can only ask --

WHY DIDN'T ANY OF YOU UNGRATEFUL FUCKERS SEND ME THE MEMO?

Sweet Jeebus, that woman can sing.

[h/t QL]

2 comments:

steves said...

I sincerely hope you aren't making Shady Dame dress like a flapper around the house these days. :-)

steve simels said...

Short answer: No.
:-)

That said, the Shady Dame in question wants to be able to wear at least one of the hats worn by Miss Fisher on the TV show. If we can find one she thinks suits her, it's gonna be a present on me.