Monday, January 06, 2014

Phil Everly 1939-2014

I have little to say in tribute to the late great Phil Everly that hasn't already been said more trenchantly by others. Except perhaps that the very first record I ever bought with my own lunch money was this Cadence 45 in 1957.


I've been a fan ever since, and boy was I pleased to finally hear this stereo version.



I should add that "On the Wings of a Nightingale," the Paul McCartney song Dave Edmunds produced for the Everly's gorgeous 1984 comeback album is as wonderful as any of the duo's more celebrated 50s and early 60s hits. Which as you can hear, it very clearly is.




As I said in a different context the other day -- this death shit is really beginning to piss me off.

5 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

"Bye Bye Love" is the only song I'll perform as Karaoke.

Jai Guru Dave said...

I think that the most heart-breakingly sad thing I have EVER heard in pop music is the last line at the very end of "Take a Message to Mary": "Oh Lord, this cell is cold."

It choked me up the first time I heard it, and it still does, every time. Especially today.

Anonymous said...

This version of Bye Bye Love is not the original but it sure is good. The Everly Brother's were magical.

It's been such a long time since this kind of rock & roll has been on the charts. That makes me feel old as much as Phil's death.

Allan R.

cthulhu said...

There are several Everly brothers anecdotes in Crystal Zevon's memoir / biography of Warren Zevon, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead; but what I remember most is how one or both of them helped her out several times when WZ was in his "intolerable drunk" phase. Good people...

Anonymous said...

The Spongetones do a good "Nightingale."

"Asleep" from EB 84 is amazing, marred only by that fake "fretless bass" effect used on 80's recordings.