Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Where Have All the Folksingers Gone?

Meant to post this earlier today, after hearing the sad news of Pete Seeger's passing, but couldn't find the audio until now.

From the end credits to the criminally overlooked 1998 HBO film version of Neil Sheehan's brilliant Vietnam history A Bright Shining Lie (starring the great Bill Paxton), here's Pat McGuire and hands down the best version of Seeger's signature song ever.




To be honest, I had always thought this song -- even the sublime hit cover by The Searchers -- to be a little earnest at best and borderline kitsch at worst.

First time I heard this version, however, I changed my mind and pronto. Just kills me...



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely version of the song, Pete will be missed by many people including folks who don't even known it yet.

Allan R

Dave said...

That's the best version of this song I've ever heard -- thanks for this, Steve. I don't own a single record of Pete Seeger's and when I've seen him live (several times), it has always been because I was interested in seeing someone else on the bill or because it was for a political cause I was supporting.

So Seeger wasn't really a musical hero of mine, but he was a political and personal hero. People mistook the gentleness and sweetness of his music and performance for some sort of personal weakness and gentleness. But Seeger was a tough guy and a stubborn guy, and the world is a better place because of it.

Cirze said...

Thanks so much.

What a great blog.

I really appreciate your effort to run that version.

Found you at Driftglass and am putting you on my bloglist.

tommy quest said...

did fred neil cover this song?

steve simels said...

Oops.

The Searchers did NOT have a hit with a cover of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone."

They covered "What Have They Done to the Rain."

A wholly other song.

I regret the error.