Thursday, January 30, 2020

À la Recherche du Oldies Perdu

So on our first night in London, a certain Shady Dame and I made our way to the West End and took in a show called THE COMEDY ABOUT A BANK ROBBERY

We figured it might be a hoot given that it was from the same people responsible for THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG, which we had seen twice and laughed ourselves silly both times.

Alas, the new one was pretty lame, and we left at intermission. But the evening was not a total waste -- the music played before the first act was a well chosen selection of 50s and early 60s rock and r&B -- mostly familiar, but still fun.

And there were two songs that made my ears stand up all Batman -- one I knew I had heard before but couldn't recall the artist, and one I had never heard at all and which became an instant earworm.

The intertubes being the wondrous thing they are, a little investigating turned them up, and please enjoy.

The one I knew.




And the one I didn't.



I had always assumed that Nappy Brown was a one hit wonder ("Don't Be Angry") so his song was a revelation. As for the Ruth Brown track, it goes to show you that not every Leiber and Stoller song stands the test of tine, although I think it's catchy as all get out and Ruth sings the very pants off of it.

2 comments:

pete said...

Lucky Lips sounds a bit like Lemon Tree (Very Pretty).

steve simels said...

Now that you mention....