Monday, July 19, 2010

A Quick One...

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter; we're talking about The Who.

Specifically -- and as part of what seems to be turning into a continuing series of Previously Unheard Stereo Mixes of the Gods -- an absolutely astonishing remixed and remastered version of "So Sad About Us," one of the band's earliest power pop masterpieces. From the 2008 Japanese deluxe edition of the 1966 album referenced above.




Words fail me. No kidding -- I've never heard any version of this before, on vinyl or CD, that sounded remotely as glorious.

8 comments:

Gummo said...

Beautiful clarity and separation, but I have the same problem with it as I have with some of the Beatles 2009 stereo remixes --

so clean & so separated that you lose some of the original sense of the whole (if that makes any sense), and therefore some of the original cacophonous excitement.

It's sometimes hard to reconcile modern audio techniques with artists' original intent regarding how the records were supposed to sound.

steve simels said...

I dunno, Gummo -- this version sounds to me the way the song always sounded in my head.

Gummo said...

Ah, well, food, movies, music -- all are so subjective....

steve simels said...

Objectivity is subjective.
:-)

tierramadre said...

I think it really shows what an amazingly original guitarist Townsend is.

FD13NYC said...

Never heard it as good as that either. Great mix, and I have like 5 versions of the song.

Edward said...

It's like The Jam were transported back to 1966! ;>

Anonymous said...

Sounds from the gods!

I remember them performing this at the Village Theater in 1967 at my first Rock & Roll concert. I will never be rational about my love of the WHO.

ROTP(lumber)