Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Garageland Revisited


Long time readers may recall me carrying on about an unpublished Rolling Stone piece I wrote in 1989 about non-musical celebrities with rock bands in their closets. The short version is that I interviewed a bunch of interesting people for the story, including the late Republican strategist/devil incarnate Lee Atwater and writer Fredric Barthelme, but the piece ultimately never ran because Jann Wenner decided at the last minute that the premise was somehow insulting. I got paid five grand up front, though, so I didn't really care what Wenner thought, and I was later able to recycle several sections of the piece -- for more money -- to Entertainment Weekly; the Tipper Gore interview actually got picked up by the NY Times, who mentioned me by name. So the whole thing ended up being both quite wonderfully lucrative and marginally rep enhancing.

Anyway, some of the people I talked to actually made (mostly obscure) records of one kind of another, and the other day I chanced across perhaps my favorite one. From 1966, it's Dale Gregory and the Shouters' Number One Hit -- in the greater Sioux Falls, South Dakota area -- "Did Ya Need to Know?"

Featuring keyboard flourishes by Shouter Pat O'Brien (not in the picture -- he would have been on the riser out of frame on the left). The very same Pat O'Brien who when I wrote the piece was familiar to TV sports fans as the host of The NFL Today on CBS.




That's one of the most wonderfully demented garage rockers ever, I think; I love the way it manages to combine the de rigeur Paul Revere and the Raiders "Just Like Me" vibe with what sounds like a nod to "Stranded in the Jungle." And those guitar solos sound like they were played on rubber bands by Jerry Lewis. Just great.

As for O'Brien, he got more famous in the current decade for hosting the Entertainment Tonight spin-off The Insider as well as for some other less pleasant stuff that we needn't rehash here. When I talked to him in 1989, however, he struck me as a very gracious and funny guy, and he looked back on his rock band past with a great deal of bemusement. As you can see from the poster up top, the Shouters actually headlined with The Hollies in '66; O'Brien told me he had just run into Graham Nash at a Lakers game, and that Nash remembered the gig and hanging out with the Shouters at their bass player's dad's pool afterwards.

8 comments:

Gummo said...

Definitely demented.

Nice blast of garage murk to start the day - thanks!

Dave said...

Thanks for this. I never realized it before, but I guess it IS a Shouter's World.

Faze said...

This is such a fascinating topic, and I look forward to reading all the links. The Barthelme story really humanizes him. For my part, knowing now how things turned out for most rock stars (especially those with only one or two hits), I'm really glad my many bands were all so perfectly awful. Answered prayers, and all that ...

steve simels said...

Unfortunately, I lost the computer disc with the rest of the article some years ago, and I never had a print out. Too bad -- the interview with William Bennett's college roommate was way interesting. As was the Chevy Chase bit -- he was a real prick. Some of the other people have faded into obscurity, though -- William LeBoutillier, for example, who was a one-term Congress punk who came in with the Gingrich revolution of '94.

TMink said...

Deep garage music. I like it.

Trey

Anonymous said...

Great song! Sounds like they're out-Bo Diddleying The Strangeloves with that organ. Kinda unpolished, but the arrangement is quite cool, with the instruments taking their spots in turn during the first part of the solo. Nice.

But let me get this straight: the Hollies and Gary Lewis/Playboys were not the headliners? (Even the Outsiders must have been a better known act nationally. "Time Won't Let Me" was huge.)

Gary Lewis/Playboys could play live? Huh.

AP

Karatist Preacher said...

Not sure how much of a celebrity he is but Creed Bratton from 'The Office' was in The Grass Roots - there are clips on You Tube of him with the band on Playboy After Dark.

Anonymous said...

and Tipper's ex-husband invented her drum set.