Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Much Earlier Than Usual Clue to the New Direction: She's Suffered For Her Art -- Now It's Your Turn!

From 2002, please enjoy nice Jewish girl archly artsy singer/songwriter Regina Spektor and her ode to everybody's favorite mofo, the only slightly annoyingly mannered "Oedipus."



Say what you will about Spektor -- and I like some of her stuff, in small doses -- but at least she's not as skull-crushingly obnoxious as that Joanna Newsom kid.

In any case, a coveted PowerPop No-Prize will be awarded to the first reader who gleans the song's relevance to the theme of tomorrow's Weekend Listomania.

16 comments:

Edward said...

Wow, that's annoying.

Songs about Kings, Queens and other royalty?

Best Post Elvis use of classics?

Something related to Phil Spector?

Songs about numbers?

steve simels said...

No, but thanks anyway -- it was starting to get lonely around here.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Singer-songwriters performing alone?

Dysfunctional families?

steve simels said...

Both interesting ideas., but no.

Elroy said...

Greek mythology?

Elroy said...

Had another idea for a listomania - how about songs that include good use of the singer counting at some point in the song. Born To Run comes to mind, but there must be lots of them!

steve simels said...

That's a great idea and I will definitely steal.

Too bad I've already done 'best scream!"

jackd said...

Songs about parents?

Better: Songs about parents that are *not* about teenage rebellion.

Faze said...

Baby-talk singers?

steve simels said...

Okay -- clue.


It's something specifically in the lyrics. I.e., lines in the lyrics....

Edward said...

Songs that mention waking up in the morning?

MBowen said...

OK, I'll admit I haven't a clue.

Songs with "Long Live X"?

I'm with you, too, on the Spektor vs. Newsom thing, too. If Joanna Newsom has released a track that doesn't make me want to shut it off halfway through, I haven't heard it yet. Regina Spektor, while I don't think I'd want to listen to her at CD length, at least makes pretty decent art-pop like this brilliant video.

dSmith said...

Songs about counting?

steve simels said...

MBowen almost got it...
:-)

Dave said...

Songs with repetitive identical lines in verses?


You are more tolerant than I am, MBowen. Listening to Spektor just makes me miss Laura Nyro more.

Anonymous said...

Love that title. Not sure if they originated it, but I first heard it on a National Lampoon album.