Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Mel Brooks: Future Oscar Contender at age 95?

From the soon to be released documentary The Automat, please enjoy my all time hero, the aforementioned Mel Brooks, and his musical ode to one of my favorite restaurant chains of all time.

The Automat Song.

The actual video clip is at the link, obviously; sorry there's no YouTube yet, but trust me -- you've got to see this.

I should add that the flick itself recently premiered at the Telluride Festival; needless to say we'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Alzo said...

Why, the man doesn't look a day over 2000!

FD13NYC said...

I loved the Automat.

Gummo said...

Wow, that was magnificent. How is he still able to reach the high notes!?

When I was a wee one, there was still a couple of automats in Manhattan. Pretty sure we went to one on at least one of our trips to "the City" (that's what people in the burbs called Manhattan -- just "the City"). It was magical to me at that age - put money in a slot and take food out of the wall!

Automats and cafeterias loom large in Kerouac's early works too, for whatever it's worth. It was a place of rendezvous, both friendly and clandestine, a place where a lonely person with nowhere to go could nurse a cup of coffee for hours, and bums could get out of the cold.