Friday, April 15, 2022

Springsteen: "Nebraska" (Stereo Review, December 1982)

And speaking as we were yesterday about another piece from my forthcoming -- end of the year -- book of my collected greatest literary hits...

...please enjoy my review of Bruce Springsteen's follow-up to The River, i.e. Nebraska. Originally released in those long ago far away days of the late 20th century when a mediocre network TV star could actually be elected president.

When times get tough, someone once observed, entertainment gets sloppy, but in the case of Bruce Springsteen, the once and future Bard of Asbury Park, New Jersey, we may have to amend that; when times get tough, entertainment gets grim. At least that's one implication to be derived from Nebraska, Springsteen's new all-acoustic -- dare I say it? -- folk music album. Another is that the record business is in even worse shape than I thought. Since the production costs of what sounds like the bleakest record of the year must have been next to nothing (Springsteen recorded it at home on a four-track Teac cassette deck), you might think Columbia would give us a break and sell it at a really reduced price -- like about two bucks. No such luck.

That's a pretty cynical thing to say about a Bruce Springsteen album, Springsteen being the one mainstream rock star who maintains a genuine give-and-take relationship with his audience, but I'm afraid Nebraska inspires cynicism. It sounds like it was written for critics rather than people. I'm not suggesting a sellout; in a lot of ways a release like this is a very gutsy career move, and I don't doubt that the ten songs on it are as sincerely, deeply felt as anything Springsteen has ever done. In some ways, actually, it's weirdly appropriate that he should mutate, however briefly, into a latter-day Woody Guthrie. CBS originally signed him as a folk singer, things are pretty depressing out there, and somebody's got to do it, I suppose. It's just that most of Nebraska is, well, boring.

I can't fault the stories Springsteen tells here. He seems to have aimed for a sort of contemporary working-class, factory-town equivalent of The Grapes of Wrath, and mostly he's succeeded. As vignettes they're wonderful; one in particular -- "Highway Patrolman" -- is going to make a heck of a movie someday. But musically...my God. The tunes are less than minimalist, the tempos are uniformly dirgelike, and hardly a ray of sunlight breaks through the overpowering miasma of fatalism and gloom. The effect is to trivialize the stories. It's impossible to care about the lives of the people being chronicled when the music is so resolutely leaden.

I suspect that this is not due so much to a lack of inspiration as it is to deliberate calculation. Springsteen has been headed in this direction for some time now. A lot of Darkness on the Edge of Town was all but unlistenable for the same reasons, and in places The River was even worse, the stark dramas inflated to operatic pretentious and unintentional self-parody. Nebraska, with its self-conscious underproduction, achieves the same sad result from the opposite direction. Springsteen must know better -- just listen to the material he gives away to other artists. Heck, his "Out of Work," on the recent Gary U.S. Bonds album, says far more about blue-collar aspirations than anything on Nebraska, and it's also tuneful, danceable and fun.

But Springsteen seems to think that fun is beneath him now. As much as it pains me to say it, I think what we have here is a classic case of a "primitive" artist corrupted by "intellectuals" (well, ex-rock writers, like his producer Jon Landau and official biographer Dave Marsh). How else to explain Springsteen's apparent compulsion to make the Big Statement every time out, the references to film directors -- here it's Terence Malick (Badlands) in the title song -- and the hectoring preachiness of so much of his recent output? Nebraska, its offhand simplicity notwithstanding, is an ambitious work, and, given the thoroughly decadent state of contemporary pop music, it merits respect if only because it aims high. But the fact is, it misses -- by a big margin -- and the reasons suggest that its author has worked himself into what may be an artistic cul-de-sac. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Have I mentioned how tickled I was and am that I predicted, correctly, that somebody -- in this case Sean Penn -- would make a movie out of "Highway Patrolman"?

Have a great weekend, everybody!!!

4 comments:

edward said...

Nebraska came out in the exactly wrong moment in my life. So listened to it once or twice and put it back on the shelf and never played it again, or even much thought about it, until the release of the Various Artist collection Badlands. Totally reintroduced me to the album and forced a serious reconsideration. As bleak, folk albums go, it is one of the best, and still stands up.

pete said...

Springsteen has always had a "folk" side. You could even say that he approaches rock music with the curatorial zeal of a folkie. But true, authentic folk-derived music is a harder act to pull off than its simple instrumentation and plainspoken understatement would lead you to believe. I agree with everything you say here, but from Nebraska to The Seeger Sessions you see his connection to the folkie style deepen and mature.

cthulhu said...

“How else to explain Springsteen's apparent compulsion to make the Big Statement every time out”

This has been my problem with Springsteen since the beginning - to me, just about everything he’s recorded that I’ve heard smacks of “I have Something Important To Say!!” and, again to me, that’s just about the worst sin an artist can commit.

I was in high school when Born to Run came out and was all over the airwaves, even in my rural town in a rural state in the mid-south-west-central-east US. I couldn’t figure out what the fuss was about, but eventually I decided I had to be missing something, so I bought the album. And I tried and tried…but the enlightenment never came. I’ve repeated that experience a few more times, including with Nebraska, because people whose musical tastes I liked said “you gotta listen to this”, and…the magic didn’t work for me.

I’ve heard enough of his later work through incidental contact to be reasonably confident none of it has any revelation for me. Now, I’ve given up trying to find anything I consider worthwhile in his oeuvre :-(

danny1959 said...

Man, did things go downhill from here.