Monday, April 11, 2022

Your Monday Moment of "How Do You Say 'Where Has This Song Been All My Life' in Spanish?"

From 1997, please enjoy Maná -- aka the pride of Guadalajara, Mexico -- and their world class infectiously catchy hit single "Clavado En Un Bar."

The backstory: So here in Forest Hills -- or as we locals refer to it, the town where all your shit is within walking distance -- a new watering hole, of the Mexican variety (called MAS TORTILLA) -- has just opened up two blocks from our apartment on Queens Boulevard. Apart from the best spicy cheesy corn on the cob I've ever had, and wonderful service, they also play some very nice music on the bar sound system, specifically a mix of traditional latin stuff and el rock en español, which I must admit I know less about than my criticial responsibilities call for. In any event, the above song came up in a playlist a few days ago, and it blew my tiny anglo mind. I am informed that the band itsef has been around since the late 80s, and that they are apparently absolutely hugely popular -- 40 million albums sold -- in the Spanish speaking market, and as you can hear they're freaking fabulous. I mean, is that a great record or what?

The answer, of course, is yes, and you're welcome very much from me for turning you on to it.

I should add that the only words I recognized in the lyric were "corazon" and "tequila," and that the title of the song apparently translates loosely as "Stuck in a Bar."

6 comments:

GetAwayGoober said...

Since you veered into the Tex-Mex...
Found Calexico in movie Collateral.
Guero Canelo -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-XUZIMjfE

Sal Nunziato said...

Muy bueno.

Pretty sure they mention Mo Rocca in the second verse.

Alzo said...

Si, this is excellente Power Pop. Very well constructed with dynamic shifts and breaks reminiscent of The Police (the singer even sounds like Der Stingle at times). Good guitar solo and finale.

I'm reminded of the first time I heard Shakira's 'Ciega, Sordomuda."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3gbisdtJnA
I didn't understand a word. But every note was perfect.

Anonymous said...

That's a fun song - thanks for the tip. Will have to check out Maná further.

This got me in the mood for something from Argentina's Los Fabulosos Cadillacs. It's a cover of a song you may know and feature vocals from NYC punk/pop goddess Debbie Harry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnRRLcPyXo

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Very, very cool. Totally top rate power pop!

Doctored Captain Al

FD13NYC said...

Good one, sounds like the Mexican Police.
This is another good one, providing it's the same band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNIRQlY9a8