Wednesday, April 06, 2022

The Sophomore Jinx: Inevitably Less Successful Singles That I Vastly Prefer to the World-Wide Smash Hits They Followed Up (An Occasional Feature)

From 1969, and Apple Records, please enjoy the lovely and talented Mary Hopkin and her fabulous "Goodbye." Written and produced by Paul McCartney.

This hit #13 on the Billboard charts, which is more than respectable, but let's face it -- it was not the blockbuster that was "Those Were the Days." (Which Paul produced but did not write).

And I think if you said "Mary Hopkin" to the average pop fan of a certain age, this wouldn't be the first thing they mentioned in reply.

The acoustic guitar riff absolutely slays me, BTW.

5 comments:

pete said...

It makes a lovely instrumental, anchor of my sets for years

Gummo said...

McCartney's demo is exquisite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EIcqz-sjy4

ChrisE said...

I agree with your assessment, Steve. I've always really liked Mary's version of "Goodbye" - short and catchy and well-sung. If you want to know the truth, "Those Were The Days" has never been a favorite of mine; although it does have a memorable chorus, it's also just so long and slow. Maybe if Lily Von Schtup had covered it...

FD13NYC said...

Good song!

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

71 years and damn I remembered hearing that song when it came out