Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Unknown Blues Singers Rule!!

Swear to God -- odious rightwing Brit tabloid rag the Daily Mail headlined Bonnie Raitt's upset Grammy win for Best Song as the work of "an unknown(!) blues singer."

Hey Daily Mail -- give your headline writer a bloody raise!

That said, if you were around these precincts on Monday, you may have gathered, correctly, that I am not now, nor have ever been, a fan of the Grammys. And as for Raitt in particular, although cognizant of her unquestionable natural gifts -- she's a great singer and guitarist -- I've always been kinda meh where her records are concerned. I mean, I wouldn't change the station if the stuff from Nick of Time came on the radio back in 1989, but none of those songs really spoke to me. And don't get me started on "Angel From Montgomery"; frankly, if I ever hear THAT again I'll take a freaking hostage.

But damn, girl...



...that's a stunning, heartbreaking adult piece of songcraft, and a great performance; Raitt thoroughly deserved the award for it.

And fear not -- I won't be posting that 50 Pastel Shades of Banal Dear Diary Faux Confessional Teen Pop crap (by Taylor Swift) that Raitt was up against by way of comparison.

Lest it die of inadequacy, obviously.

6 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

"50 Pastel Shades of Banal Dear Diary Faux Confessional Teen Pop crap"

Bwaaahaaa!

Cleveland Jeff said...

Bonnie's late career surge has been outstanding. Her last three are all excellent.

M_Sharp said...

I don't pay much attention to the Grammys, but every year a few people I like get nominated, and some actually win, but usually in the roots/blues/country/Americana categories. This was a rare big one, and well deserved. Bonnie's still at her peak.

Anonymous said...

Kris Kristoferson wished he wrote " Angel from..."

pete said...

I've avoided the song until now. Given the subject matter it could easily have become an earnest piece of Nashville blather. (I'm looking at you, "I Can't Make You Love Me.") But it's beautifully crafted, deserves to be a standard. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Never has life's "Quier Desperation" been so exquisitely penned -

How the he'll do you go to work in the morning
Come home in the evening and have nothing to say