Thursday, February 09, 2023

George Santos Still Hasn’t Found What He’s Looking For

Words fail me.

In case you're wondering, the clip above is from the legendary 2011 flop Broadway, er, musical Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark, a show which almost achieved its apparent goal of destroying the careers of genius director Julie Taymor (of The Lion Kng fame) and U2's Bono and The Edge, who wrote the alleged score.

Let me repeat -- words fail me.

In any case, it has long puzzled me how this turkey -- which cost 75 million(!) -- ever made it past the first cold reading of the script. I mean, a Spiderman musical-- really? But the mystery may at last have been solved.

To wit: Gorgeous George Santos.

Yup, him, the freshman Republican congressman from Long Island with the vivid fantasy life. I know, I know...I didn't have him pegged as a patron of the arts either, but apparently during his 2020 campaign George (AKA Milli Brazilli) told people he had been one of the producers of the aforementioned extravaganza. Like so many of George's claims, this can't be verified (for obvious reasons, everybody who actually saw the show burned their Playbills shortly thereafter) but I'm gving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. After all, it seems weirdly appropriate that George (if that is his name) has the theatrical equivalent of a black thumb.

Have I mentioned that words fail me?

5 comments:

M_Sharp said...

Milli Brazilli - good one! He may have done all the stunt work too, but we didn't know because of Spidey's mask.

Allan Rosenberg said...

That was worse then I ever imagined the Broadway show could ever have been. Oh the humanity!

Comic books should remain on the printed page where they work best. Taymor was delusional thinking she could pull the show off live onstage.

The Spiderman movies are not much better. There have been some wonderful superhero movies but the vast majority can't quite pull off making themselves believable. Don't get me started.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Have never been a fan of "The Edge" (Slash a better nomiker) and his plucka, package refrains.

JB said...

Well, the redhead was kinda cute.

John Werner said...

U2 should have quit with Joshua Tree. As for this production...no words ditto.