Friday, February 24, 2023

La Fin de La Semaine Essay Question: Special “Most Beautiful Sound Occurring in Nature” Edition

From 1986, please enjoy Fire Town and their beyond glorious neo-folk rock jangle anthem "Carry the Torch."

The indie album that's from crossed my desk at Stereo Review unbidden one afternoon back in the day, and it will surprise nobody to learn that the main reason I gave it a spin right away was due to the Vox guitar posed so enticingly on the right hand side of the album cover.

As for Fire Town, they got signed soon after to Atlantic, who re-released the album; alas, it still refused to sell despite my raving about it in the pages of SR. Two of the band members, however, went on to form Garbage with Shirley Manson, and the rest, as they say, is history.

But now to business! To wit...

...and the most memorable use of an electric twelve-string guitar on a rock record is...?

Discuss.

Have a great weekend everybody!

16 comments:

Allan Rosenberg said...

For me it would have to be where it all started in America: Mr. Tamborine Man - The Byrds.

What a sound it made on my transistor radio!

Captain Al

MJConroy said...

The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!

JB said...

For me it's A Hard Day's Night.

Anonymous said...

probably would be George Harrison with his Rickenbacker 360-12 on 'you can't do that' or 'ticket to ride'

Roger said...

Yep. No George Harrison. No Roger McGuinn.

steve notice said...

Mr. Tambourine Man, of course. Couldn’t afford a Rickenbacker so i got a Hagstrom 12 :)

pete said...

To me the apotheosis of McGuin's sound came with Clarence White in 100 Years from Now.

steve simels said...

What — no love for Carl Wilson on The Beach Boys “Dance Dance Dance”?

Alzo said...

I saw Spinal Tap do 'Big Bottom' with all three frontmen playing bass. Does that count as 12 strings?

Allan Rosenberg said...

Alzo:

You win the prize! Best musical math!

Captain. Al

DTM said...

I believe the correct spelling of the band's name is Fire Town.

Anonymous said...

Yep, June 65

Anonymous said...

My God - how has no one cited
Jorma Kaukonen ?

Sharon E. Cathcart said...

Only one? I'll go with The Searchers' "When You Walk In The Room." Worth noting that they also played Rickenbackers.

ChrisE said...

"Eight Miles High" by the Byrds.

Question: Can anybody confirm if the fearsome, droning guitar on the Velvet Underground's "Venus In Furs" was done on a Rickenbacker 12-string? If it was, that song would be right near the top of my list, too.

John Werner said...

This brings back memories! I read the SR review of this back in '86 and, as instructed, purchased it. I still have it in excellent condition. But, a bit of melancholia, I was just 26-yrs. old when this was in heavy rotation in my car. I'm 63-yrs. now...my parents were right again: "time flies".