Monday, September 16, 2024

Songs I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved (An Occasional Series): Special "The Tallest Guy in Rock" Edition

From 1991, and his album Perspex Island, please enjoy frighteningly NBA-sized Brit rocker Robyn Hitchcock (with The Egyptians) and the little power pop masterpiece that is "So You Think You're in Love."

In keeping with last week's Listomania, I should add that the above is a song I listened to obsessively when it first came out (and desperately wanted to cover with the Flo Mos, which was not, alas, to be). Hadn't seen that charming video before yesterday, however.

I should also add that I had more or less forgotten the whole thing until I learned recently that Hitchcock has a forthcoming (October) new album in which he pays tribute to the music made in 1967.

What I've heard from it so far is...er...interesting. Stay tuned for tomorrow's post for an early tasting.

4 comments:

Rob B Mullen said...

1 - Robyn has always intrigued me. Don't really know enough about his career, tho have googled him in the past
2 - Tallest Guy In Rock -
Pete Steele - 6'8" Type O Negative
Kris Novoselic 6'7"
rob. ;-)



steve simels said...

I met him once (an old friend of mine is his travel agent). Trust me -- he's gigantic. 😎

Rob B Mullen said...

Steve, just googled Robyn -
6'2" - (1.88m) ;-)
We talking about the same guy ?
rob

Anonymous said...

I never found him to be that exceptionally tall - I'm also 6'2", and he's not taller than me.

They list Gibby Haynes (Butthole Surfers) at 6'5", but in person, in the 80s, he looked closer to 6'7"