Monday, November 26, 2007

Churchy La Femme

Ladies and gentlemen, the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World.



They are, of course, The Detroit Cobras, and I've been a raving fan for a little over a year. This particular song has loomed large in my legend for some time now, but until the other day there wasn't anything on YouTube worth posting.

Why do I love them? Well, obviously, their raison d'etre -- garage punk covers of incredibly-to-moderately-obscure r&b and early rock songs -- is designed with my mind in mind. More to the point, though, are the paralytically sexy noises emanating from the throat of lead singer Rachel Nagy. If truth be told, the last time I fell so hard for a pop girl was January of 1979, when someone slipped me an import single of "Stop Your Sobbing," featuring vocals by some chick named Chrissie Hynde.

Seriously -- is there another woman on the planet who can make the three syllable phrase "cha-cha-cha" absolutely drip with lust? The bottom line is if we were gonna have a contest to determine The World's Most Fuckable Voice right now, I think Ms. Nagy would win hands down.

A correction: As fellow Atriot Roadmaster reminded me, the above statement about Chrissie Hynde being my last big girl singer crush is not, in point of fact, accurate. My last big girl singer crush moment came courtesy of NYMary, who turned me on to the divine Neko Case last year. I think Nagy and Case are kind of two different animals, however; I mean, obviously, Neko's great on a million levels, but she doesn't really exude the sort of bad girl spankee spankee vibe Nagy does so effortlessly.

But as always, I've probably said too much.

10 comments:

watertiger said...

BETTER than the Beatles?

[/runs out of the room]

Marcellina said...

Steve!

I don't nned to hear "the world's most fuckable voice" but did you ever listen to that Renft stuff I sent you? What did you think?

steve simels said...

marcellina:

No, I haven't yet, but they're at the top of a huge pile of stuff I need to listen to this week.

TMink said...

Wow, she uses so much restraint, she has a cool vocal delivery despite the more sensual aspects of her voice. She has it, and she knows how to use it. I was expecting something hotter in terms of vocal theatrics, but she keeps in reigned in tight. A bit more restrained than that Hynde chick.

Very cool.

Trey

steve simels said...

she keeps in reigned in tight.

Yes, indeedy. That's the fun of it...


But perhaps I've said too much...
:-)

Cleveland Bob said...

Steve,

You've nailed it again, sir. The Cobras come through town every so often and we've been to see them thrice. They rock hard and the girls are teh hot!

Detroit is a fascinating place to me So many sounds, such varied styles (Iggy, Bob Seger, Kid Rock, Madonna, White Stripes just to name a few) have come out of that god forsaken burg. We were there in October to see Spoon and you've got to see it to believe it. Downtown Motor City is Beirut without the nice parts...

steve simels said...

Downtown Motor City is Beirut without the nice parts...


So basically, it's still as bad as when the MC5 wrote "Motor City's Burning"?

That's gotta sting...

Rinjo Njori said...

Nagy hasn't even been at the top of her game in years and she still rocks.

Anonymous said...

Re: Rachal Nagy: Steve we all know how much you love spankee spankee!!!!

Ha! Gotcha!

Anonymous said...

My Rock Bud who is even older than Simels LOVES The Cobras, and he always drags me along when they hit town. The sight of a 65-year old man doing the Idiot Hippie Dance restores my faith in a lot of things! :)
-bill buckner