Thursday, November 29, 2007

Young and Innocent

Talk about a Proustian moment -- from 1965, here's an actual official music video for the Lovin Spoonful's sublime "Do You Believe in Magic."



I had no idea such a thing existed, but now that I've looked at it, I'm almost positive that I saw this on the old Clay Cole Show a week or two before I headed off to my first ever semester of college. Wow.

In any case, aren't they the cutest things you've ever seen? And did you know that our good friend the divine watertiger is friends with the drummer?

Update: Via e-mail, I just heard from the man himself.

Steve: I'd like to take credit for the Lovin' Spoonful video clip, but I am not sure. The 'boys' were on my show so many times - I really liked these guys, they were smart, funny and hip. The clip looks like our show - black and white and bleak - but, as legend persists, there is no known video remaining from the five years at WPIX, Ch 11 - they ereased all the tapes.
It is so good to see them so young, fresh and raw - John almost seems camera shy and Zal is jittery as a Jumping Jack on Black Beauties. These guys - and these memories - remain my favorites. Thank you Steve. Clay Cole www.claycoleshow.com


I'm speechless.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I think watching this restored my virginity!

Anonymous said...

And did you know that our good friend the divine watertiger is friends with the drummer?

Wow, you A-list bloggers are all so connected!

I, on the other hand, know.... well... um... er...

you! I know you!

watertiger said...

stick with me, kiddo. i'll get you into all the cool places!!!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, that John Sebastian is so gosh darn earnest!

Cleveland Bob said...

You guys know all the cats and kittens. As for me, my best cliam to fame is that I once played nine holes of golf with Lux Interior.

His brother was a pal of mine and he invited Lux to tag along as he was in town to visit their ailing father.

Lux wore spandex leopard skin pants and high-heeled Chuck Taylors. We got some looks that day I'll tell ya.

steve simels said...

cleveland bob:

Lux Interior? I'm not worthy....
:-)

Anonymous said...

Geez, Clevo Bob,

I think I could handle golfing with Lux. But, if it was Bryan Gregory, forget it. He really creeped me out!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! I repeat, holy crap! Clay Cole????

Dude.

four legs good said...

Damn. Do you know I was thinking about this song last night?

Anonymous said...

I'd put money on the Clay Cole show!!! I remember watching it every week. Wasn't on Saturday nights?

The Stones appeared several times.

steve simels said...

Yep, Saturday nights. Everybody was on it, including the Stones.

First time I ever saw them. They lip-synched one of their Chuck Berry covers, dressed in their street clothes (Jagger wearing a ratty sweatshirt).

The Bridge and Tunnel girls in the audience didn't know what to make of them at this point...a lot of them were laughing.

MBowen said...

Even knowing what a useless prick Sebastian turned into can't erase the greatness of that record.

It really was magic.

steve simels said...

I met him at a screening at Sony when that Isle of Wight concert film came out in the early 90s.

He was actually very nice, and seemed genuinely pleased when I gushed about the Spoonful (I'm a HUGE Spoonful fan, as if you haven't guessed)...

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I remember reading (seeing?) a couple of interviews where he was the very model of a smug hippie, as well as being totally dismissive of any music made by anyone younger than him.

But it really doesn't matter. Anyone who made a record as wonderful as "Magic" gets a couple of zillion good karma points in my book.

steve simels said...

mbowen:

You'll get no argument from me on that score...

TJWood said...

Huge Spoonful fan here, Steve, particularly after learning how to play some of those songs. Any list of underrated guitarists (including a future one on this blog, perhaps?) will have to include Zal Y. on it. Thanks for posting.

steve simels said...

tjwood:

That's a very good idea and I'm going to steal it.

And you're right about Zally; a true original, and wildly inventive.

Unknown said...

The Electric Prunes: I Had Too Much to Dream (Last Night)

Bob Dylan: Just Like Tom Thumb Blues

Unknown said...

oh no, that's posted to the wrong thread...

shrimplate said...

Kama Sutra and Buddha 7-inch vinyl... some days, those. Yummy, so to speak.