Well, it's Friday and you know what that means. Yes, my Oriental manservant Hop-Sing and I are off to a legal seminar at Joe Klein's Hamptons estate (or at least we think we are; Joe hasn't yet confirmed that he has the time for it). In any case, posting by moi will be necessarily sporadic for a while.
But in my absence, here's a fun project for you all to contemplate:
Best Drug Song, Pro or Anti!!!!!!!!!!
[An editorial note: Obviously, the Sixties and Early Seventies were the Golden Age of Pharmacological Songcraft, so the selections here are mostly rather moss laden; I tried my best to find contemporary examples, but all the good ones seem to be moldy oldies. In fact, the most recent example of the genre I can recall is that awful Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge" crapola, and that's from 1992 fer crissakes. So please -- if some of you younger degenerates can point out a 21st century exemplar, I'll be happy to tag it onto the list as an honorable mention. Have your dealer call me.]
In any case, my carefully considered Top Ten would be....
10. (tie) Bob Dylan -- Rainy Day Women #12 and 35
and The First Edition -- Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)
9. Brewer and Shipley -- One Toke Over the Line
8. Neil Young -- The Needle and the Damage Done
7. Jefferson Airplane -- White Rabbit
6. Grandmaster Flash -- White Lines (Don't Do It)
[sorry -- could only find the inferior Duran Duran version]
5. Velvet Underground -- I'm Waiting For the Man
4. Marianne Faithfull (with the Rolling Stones) -- Sister Morphine
3. Paul Revere and the Raiders -- Kicks
2. John Lennon -- Cold Turkey
and the number one drug song is....
1. Flaming Groovies -- Slow Death
C'mon, apart from the fact it rocks as hard as any number of Stones classics, it's also the only anti-drug tune I can think of that combines clear headed realism about the perils of addiction with genuine humor. Really -- who else but the Groovies could have written a cautionary drug song that was actually, intentionally, funny?
Okay -- what are your faves?