Thursday, March 03, 2005

Historical Perspective, part 1

I've been poking around, acquiring primary source materials for my book research. Hell, I'll end up having to change my handle to PPPDA: The Power Pop Primary Documents Archive.

In fact, having been born a packrat, I actually own a great deal of primary source material from the pop press of the late 70's, though usually in the TeenBeat milieu, admittedly. (Tiger Beat, 16, and Bananas were also favored reading, but cut me some slack; I was a little kid.

But recently, I've been trying to get my hands on vintage issues of Bomp! and other magazines from the period. This selection, however, comes from the Contemporary Music Almanac 1980/81, written by Ronald Zalkind, Published by Schirmer Books in 1980.

The book is mostly a reference book (helpfully reminding me that I share a birthday with Glenn Frey, a fact I'd blacked out, as Sally Field and John Philip Sousa tend to consume the birthday-sharing part of my brain). Sections include: a Who's Who of Musical Artists, a Directory of Record Companies and Hot DeeJays, a section on rock travel (necessary information if you're on the road in, say, Detroit, including local drinking ages, a guide to local marijuana laws, and a VD hotline), that sort of thing.

It also includes a long chapter on New Wave Music, a sort of on-the-ground analysis of the movement.
What the new wave amounted to, in brief, was a violent short-circuiting of the normally slow process involved in bringing new groups and new music to the record-buying public. In place of the long and ardurous trek from garage band to album deal, the new wave created instant records, by groups that were new enough to be fresh, innovative, and unencumbered by the usual commercial considerations required to make it in the music business. By making the young groups appear to be an asset to the record companies, the new wave shifted the focus of the industry away from the older, stagnant performers and towards the radically different groups, sporting a new look, and playing a music that captured all the missing excitement of the unsophisticated early days of rock. The new wave broke all the establishes rules of the rock world, created a whole flock of new ways of working, and brought to the fore an amazing assortment of people and ideas that brought rock 'n' roll out of its doldrums. In England, after some initial resistance and problems, the movement proved thoroughly successful, and was ultimately adopted and institutionalized by the very forces it sought to evade. In a sense, the idealism of new wave was lost as its commercial aspects took hold, but the resulting changes brought about more than justify whatever sense of failure there might have been.

Now, there are obviously some generic distinctions here. Power pop was coined as a "softer" term for punk, so initially it was kind of a marketing term, like, well, "Greenland," I guess. But then new wave came in to replace power pop, presumably distancing it from punk one more degree. (Worth noting, in the excellent film SLC Punk!, these various tribal distinctions are noted, and our protagonist calls new wavers "the new hippies.") Synthesizers, as a poster noted below, probably also influenced this transition.

I'll be ruminating a lot on these various distinctions over the coming weeks: help me out!

12 comments:

refinnej said...

I suppose this is a good place to consider the effect MTV had... It really did change things, and not just in the area of marketing. I mean, what does that do to the creative process when you ALSO have to think about what the video will look like... Just thinking out loud here, but whatever happend to music in the 80's, MTV certainly played a role...

Rmj said...

Primary source materials....


hmmmm...I used to have a copy of the Poetry of Rock Alas, lost long ago.

May still have a big stack of Rolling Stone magazines, somewhere. Used to keep 'em in my room at home, with the cover of the issue published after Nixon quit, on top. Back when RS was a tabloid style magazine, a big jowly picture of RMN from his televised resignation speech, with the caption: "The Quitter."

Just to rankle my dearly-beloved, but GOP, Dad.

Don't even know if I still have 'em....

What a drag it is growing old....

watertiger said...

MTV had a monstrously bad effect on music in general, focusing on the visual instead of the aural.

I hate MTV.

Except for the Adam and the Ants video. He was so dreamy....

Eli said...

Mmm... new wave...

(where's simels?)

MTV had a monstrously bad effect on music in general, focusing on the visual instead of the aural.

I hate MTV.


Um, how about focusing on the Crap instead of on the Non-Crap? That, to me, is MTV's biggest sin. Not only did they push nothing but crap, but they essentially declared themselves as The Ultimate Arbiter Of All That Is Cool, which is, I dunno, cultural fascism or something, and their definition of All That Is Cool is about as on-the-money as those radio station call-in polls for Best Song Ever which always end up with "Stairway To Heaven" first and "Freebird" second.

Puh-leeze. Any network that employs Carson Daly, Kennedy, or Downtown Julie Brown automatically forfeits any claim to coolth.

Eli said...

Oh, and also speaking of cool - I dug Bananas too...

Anonymous said...

Power pop was coined as a "softer" term for punkI never would have thought of that, really, but I suppose it's true enough. Most power-poppers, though, were more than marginally-proficient musicians, in that they had some techniques refined. Punk, for the most part, was proud of being relatively unskilled, in the traditional sense.
.

V said...

What the punkers lacked in skill, they certainly made up for in passion.

And let's not blame MTV for everything. Back in the day, they were responsible for some pretty awesome stuff. Liquid Television, anyone? And I think we all have to admit there have been many, many very cool music videos. I think the radio is a more powerful force for making things crappy, as it reaches far more people than MTV and only plays the same five songs over and over again. I'm serious. Five. I count them sometimes.

Um... what else was I going to say? Oh yeah, Tiger Beat... bless it. When I was in junior high school, I had no fewer than 47 posters of one Corey Haim, thanks mainly to Tiger Beat and Bop.

NYMary said...

Well, I have to say that I have a generally more favorable impression of MTV, which I take from being born in the hinterlands as opposed to the metropole. Dunno about anyone else here, but refinnej, eli, and thers are all city kids, and so didn't have MTV until 84 or 85, at which point yes, it sucked. But from 1981-84, there was an amazing amount of new and experimental music on MYV, things I still have trouble finding on CD. Slow Children, Tenpole Tudor, weird stuff like Total Coelo--there was a lot on early MTV that never made it to radio.

Oh, hell, this is a blog entry. I'll talk about it that way.

refinnej said...

Yeah.. and remember too that Thers and I were stuck watching "Friday Night Videos" or whatever the hell it was called, which sucked because they NEVER showed the entire video, because we didn't have cable. To watch MTV we had to trudge barefoot through 20 feet of snow and beg our friends, who did NOT live in an oppressive metropolis and have cruel parents, to please let us watch this thing called MTV and witness the birth of a new medium. Sigh..

V said...

Speaking of New Wave... I was amazed to find, when I first visited England, that many of the bands we'd comsider one-hit wonders here in the States had rather a huge degree of success in their home country. Madness comes to mind as a brilliant example. In America, we know Madness for "our house, in the middle of our street..." and maybe on a good day, for One Step Beyond. But in England, they're a widely popular pop/ska band with a whole crapload of hits. And they're still relatively popular, from what I've observed.

V said...

Also: as a general rule, I find that I am exposed to a better quality of music (both new and old) in England. Yeah, they have their share of mass-produced pop-tarts, but they also seem to have a lot more original talent than we're cranking out on our side of the pond. All of our contemporary pop/rock sounds pretty much the same to me...

Eli said...

U68. They didn't have much selection, but what they had was cherce.