Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Dingo Ate My...Oh, Sorry.

You know, every now and then I remember what the name of this blog is, and it occurs to me I probably should post a song that's got some more than tangential connection to the genre.

Also, something recorded in the last couple of years would be nice.

In that spirit, then, please enjoy utterly adorable Antipodeans The Wellingtons and "If We Feel OK," from their second (2007) album, For Friends In Faraway Places




This is an all but perfect pop confection, I think -- winsome vocals, killer chorus, great guitars, blah blah blah, the whole thing sounding kind of familiar (I think I hear Todd Rundgren hovering above it) but not exactly like any other song that immediately comes to mind.

I should add that I discovered it -- and much else, of late -- over at
Peter's Power Pop
, a charmingly Australio-centric blog hosted by occasional commenter (and Sugarbombs fan) Peter Scott. There's a boatload of great music over there for your perusal; if you stop by, make sure to say hello.

8 comments:

steve simels said...

Note to self: Really cute pop-rock songs by obscure Australian bands less interesting to readers than hoped.
:-)

Elroy said...

I liked it! It's just early...

FD13NYC said...

Not really Steve, good song. Keep that obscure great pop coming, always a welcome breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the heads up with Pete's blog. His comparisons of songs are interesting and enlightening. I must have downloaded 20-25 songs already.

steve simels said...

Australia seems to have been the Great Hair capitol of the world during the 70s.
:-)

Anonymous said...

They're not Kiwis?

Unknown said...

Kiwis? No, sir/madam. They're direct from a little ol' town called Melbourne (capital of Australian state Victoria).

Unfortunately, none of that explains why they called themselves "The Wellingtons".

Possible explanations:

• They named themselves after Wellingtons boots
• They named themselves after Beef Wellington.
• They really like the Duke of Wellington
• I have no idea.

FD13NYC said...

The Wellingtons are my new favorite group of the week.

agitpropre said...

Great stuff..AND female bass player - bonus points!