Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Compare and Contrast: Doggy Style

Okay, I've wanted to post this one for months now, and finally (see below) I have an excuse.

So, from 1970, please enjoy the amazing Jerry Williams a/k/a Swamp Dogg and one of those rare rock or r&b workouts that actually lives up to its outrageous title -- "Total Destruction to Your Mind."




And from 1988 and the first of only two solo albums, check out this cool roots-rock cover by former Del Lords guitarist Eric Ambel.




I don't know which if these I prefer, if truth be told; in fact, both of them completely crack me up. That said, however, I think we can all agree that the Swamp Dog LP art is perhaps the most heinous in the history of recorded music.

I should also add that Ambel's Roscoe's Gang is a vastly entertaining straight-ahead no-frill rock record; if you like the "Destruction" cover, you should probably get over to Never Get Out of the Boat and download the entire thing here (gratis). Including a fun cover of Dylan's "If You Gotta Go, Go Now."

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't make out what's happening in the cover art.

TMink said...

It is the total destruction of our minds. It has begun.

Trey

Unknown said...

swamp dogg is ripe for a documentary as he's had an amazing career.

for cover art I like "Rat On" where he's riding a giant white rat.

Blue Ash Fan said...

Whoa, Steve. Eric "Roscoe" Ambel is a friend of mine. All of his solo work is available for sale here:

http://ericambel.com/store/

The man's gotta earn a living. Send people here to buy his music. I'm sure Roscoe wouldn't want to just give it away.

By the way, "Loud & Lonesome" is a must-have.

Thanks.

MBowen said...

If for nothing else, his vocal on The Del-Lords' "Judas Kiss" should get him into the R&R Hall of Fame.

roscoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve simels said...

Blue Ash Fan:

Sorry about that, but since it was already up...

Blue Ash Fan said...

No problem, Steve. The site took it down.

In these days of talented folks like Roscoe going unnoticed while so much shit gets so much exposure, I just hate the idea of the lower- and middle-tier guys not getting paid. I think we need to support these guys as much as possible. Sure beats losing them.

It's great that you give people like Roscoe and Terry Anderson some exposure. One reason I love this blog.

steve simels said...

There are all sorts of moral issues with posting mp3s here that one of these days I'm gonna have to sort out.

Believe me, I'm firmly in the camp of musicians should get paid for their work. Especially lower and middle tier guys. Having been one myself....

Blue Ash Fan said...

I knew you agreed.

Can't be a power pop guy without rooting for the lower- and middle-tier guys.