Monday, February 08, 2010

Great Lost Singles of the 60s (Special Rich Little Edition)

Okay, this has basically nothing to do with the theme of this here blog, but I've always liked it so I thought I'd share.

So, from the summer of '67, please enjoy Spyder Turner's version of Ben E. King's oft-covered "Stand By Me." Complete with vocal impressions of Sam Cooke, Eddie Kendricks, James Brown and several other greats of soul and r&b.




This is the uncut album version, BTW; the single is actually two minutes shorter.

Incidentally, despite the fact that it was a Top 10 hit back in the day, the single itself has more or less disappeared down the memory hole. Entertaining as the thing is, I suspect most purists consider it essentially a novelty record, thus explaining the fact that Spyder Turner's name seldom comes up when people discuss classic soul. I think it's great, myself, but then again, in Gong Show creator Chuck Barris' immortal phrase -- what do I know, I like cold toilet seats.

6 comments:

Elroy said...

Wonderful! Thanks, I really enjoyed that.

Unrelatedly, when when Blogger asks me to verify a word to submit my comment, the word it is asking for is "Condi"! Not much of a job after being National Security Advisor and Sec of State, but, a gal's gotta make a living!

Elroy

TMink said...

I really like the stripped down arrangement of the song, especially at first. And dude can sing!

I saw Tony Bennet doing the same kind of thing on a clip from the Andy Williams show, he did Andy Williams quite well, very smoooooth.

Trey

steve simels said...

Note to self: Barely remembered and possibly goofy soul records not as appealing to powerpop fans as hoped.

Unknown said...

the vast numbers of top 10 hits from the past that are never played on "oldies radio" is indeed criminal.

The Top 10, people, not ones that barely scraped the top 40.

dave™© said...

Pretty cool - esp. like his Smokey Robinson!

dave™© said...

Note to self: Barely remembered and possibly goofy soul records not as appealing to powerpop fans as hoped.

Maybe not to the masses, but us elitists love 'em!