Thursday, June 24, 2021

It's Lovin' Spoonful Tribute Concert Week: Part III -- When the Night Falls

From that 2020 Lovin' Spoonful charity show I've been bugging you about all week...

...please enjoy the Wild Honey Orchestra, with special guests 80s New Wave faves Wednesday Week and an astounding version of (for my money) the Spoonful's masterpiece "Six O'Clock."

I actually think, on balance, that this song is the Spoonful's greatest accomplishment in the studio, and yeah, yeah, I know, "Summer in the City". I just think this one is more evocative of New York at the time, and the air of desperation that hangs over it is really powerful.

In any case, these Wednesday Week kids sing and play the hell out of it.

I should also add that I am totally in love with the gal bass player in the men's suit stage right. Assuming she is a gal, and hell, even if she isn't.

Tomorrow -- another Spoonful classic in a performance that should reduce you to a puddle of goo. And I mean that in a good way.

3 comments:

MJConroy said...

I believe that is Heidi Rodewald on bass.

steve simels said...

If so, she's fabulous.

The PopCulturist said...

Heidi is the collaborator of the incredible songwriter and performer Stew, who performs under his own name and sometimes with band The Negro Problem, and is the creator and star of the Tony Award-winning musical Passing Strange. You should definitely check them out.