Tuesday, May 31, 2022

I'm Sorry, Mr. King, But I Don't Believe We've Been Introduced

So a certain Shady Dame and I are going to see a certain venerable theatrical classic on Broadway tonight; let's see if you can guess which one it is.

Here's a hint.

You know, it's funny -- I don't think I've ever seen a stage production of Shakespeare's Scottish play. My first exposure to it was on live TV, in 1954, in a celebrated NBC Hallnark Hall of Fame version starring Maurice Evans, who shall we say had a whiff of pork about him...

...but it nevertheless made a profound influence on the young me.

I should add that, obviously, the version I'm gonna see tomorrow -- which stars Daniel Craig, of James Bond fame -- will probably blow my aging mind as well.

I mean, Macbeth played by a guy who looks good in a tux? Wow!

1 comment:

Alzo said...

Whether it's Polanski or Kurosawa, it is always worth one's attention. Here is Sparks' take, wherein the Scottish Play is reframed as a hit Reality-TV show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9p73NojlRc