Friday, July 05, 2024

La Fin de La Semaine Essay Question: Special "Les Animaux Blancs" Edition (Première Partie)

So okay -- today we're going to celebrate brand new music by one of the greatest roots rock/punk/powerpop bands you might never have heard of. (Well, if you were a sentient college kid down South in the 80s, you heard of them. And also if you're a longtime reader. But let's move on.)

In any event, I refer to the aforementioned up top (aux francais) White Animals (seen here today).

And who were/are those guys, you ask?

Here's a short version, adapted from a post I did about them here back in 2000.

The White Animals are the great lost American rock band of the 80s -- a ferocious live act (any band that shared a stage with them did so at their peril) and true musical visionaries whose ahead of its time mix of 60s garage-punk energy, British Invasion song structures, and dub reggae soundscapes by way of Lee Perry still sounds utterly fresh and contemporary.

I first met these guys -- who basically ruled the alt-rock/frat party scene down South in their heyday -- in the late 70s while interviewing the redoubtable Marshall Chapman (scroll down to page 86 after clicking on the link HERE). Years later, The Floor Models had the great pleasure of opening for them on one of the Animals infrequent trips to NYC. I should add -- as I suggested in the blurb -- that they blew us off the stage. In the nicest and most supportive way possible.

Oh, and here's a video -- from Nashville TV in 1982 -- that just slays me and should give you an idea of their total coolness.

But let us return to the present. When I am delighted to report that these guys -- who among other things, were the first indie band to get a video on MTV, which was an amazing accomplishment -- have reunited and just released a new album...

...that's an instant classic in what we refer to as the rock-and-roll field.

I'm gonna leave you with that teaser, and trust me -- you'll thank me.

But in other words, we will continue our tribute to the WA's on Monday, when I will be singing their praises in more detail and sharing some of their brilliant new songs with you guys.

But in the meantime, on to the weekend's thematically pertinent business.

To wit:

...and your favorite post-Elvis pop/rock/soul/folk song or band whose lyrics or name reference some sort of animal -- mammal, reptile, insect, whatever -- is...???

No arbitrary rules whatsoever.

And...discuss.

Oh, and in case you were wondering -- and most long-time readers will have already guessed -- here's my favorite.

Heh.

Okay, like I said, Part Deux of my WA's encomium will appear on Monday.

Meanwhile -- have a great holiday weekend, everybody!!!

21 comments:

John K said...

Animal Farm by The Kinks. Pressed Rat And Warthog & Toad by Cream

Anonymous said...

Rock Lobster B52's
Black Cow Steely Dan
Monkey Man Toots & the Maytals
Little Piggies Beatles
rs

edward said...

I'm pretty sure you've run this quiz before.

steve simels said...

Edward —

I probably did, sorry. Hey, I needed a hook…😎

Tinpot said...

"That's How Much I Need Your Love" Chuck Prophet

If you were a pussy cat
With fuzzy pussy hair
I'd put you in my pocket
And take you everywhere

M_Sharp said...

“The Bug” - Jerry Dallman & The Knightcaps
“Flippin’ The Bird” - Deke Dickerson and The Trashmen
“Crawlin' King Snake” - John Lee Hooker
“The Monkey” - The Fabulous Thunderbirds
'Bear Whiz Beer' Radio Spot - Firesign Theater
“Human Fly” - The Cramps

steve simels said...

Bear Whiz Beer.

I'm not worthy.

pete said...

Will the Wolf Survive?

Allan Rosenberg said...

The Weasels - Crimes Against Nature


Captain Al

danny1959 said...

Bill Wyman "Pussy"
Harry Roy "My Girl's Pussy

getawaygoober said...

Elephant's Memory - Cryin' Blacksheep Blues

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add "Apeman" by the Kinks to the list.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget Pink Floyd - from Ummagumma-
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With Pict

Anonymous said...

Couple more -
Procol Harum - Salty Dog
Mountain - Nantucket Sleigh Ride
rob

Roger said...

I hope it's not too late for "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" by Rolf Harris.

steve simels said...

Roger --

Hehheh.

Anonymous said...

So many to choose from, so I'll do a tiny, a reg'lar-sized, and a big'n.
Adolescents - Amoeba
Sabbath - War Pigs
Whale (Swedish 90s band with immortal hit Hobo-Humpin' Slobo Babe, a song so catchy that you will be singing along before it's over)
C in California

steve simels said...

“Amoeba.”

Words fail me.😎

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Pick - brings me back to ,65
You did a deep dive,- I thought my Floyd pick was good- I bow to to
you - rob




ChrisE said...

Boris The Spider - The Who
Monkey Time - Boz Scaggs
Hound Dog - Big Mama Thornton/Elvis Presley
I Love My Dog - Cat Stevens
Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention Steve's favorite band: King Crimson

Elephant Talk
Neurotica (a whole zoo worth of animals in the lyrics)
Dinosaur

- Paul in DK