Tuesday, July 16, 2024

My Favorite New Song (An Occasional Series)

From 2022, and the soundtrack to (season I episode 3 of) The Afterparty, please enjoy Ben Schwartz as annoying Millenial musical careerist Yasper and the melodically infectious and lyrically hilarious "Yeah Sure Whatever." ."

In case you haven't seen the show (and a certain Shady Dame of my acquaintance turned me on to it just last week) TAP is a sort of black comedy murder mystery set at a high school reunion (class of 2015) in Marin County. Each episode has a different character arc and a different visual and dramatic style (to my knowledge, the episode from whence the above song derives is the only one with a big musical number).

In any event, it's quite brilliantly written and often fall off your couch funny (it's worth seeing for the first episode Hall and Oates gag alone), although I should add that if -- like me -- you're not particularly nostalgic for your high school years, you may also find it a bit creepy and uncomfortably close to the bone.

In any event, "Yeah Sure Whatever" has had me singing it in the shower for several days now; if it isn't a fab gear example of contemporary power pop I don't know what is.

Oh, and the series is on Apple TV, for those who have.

"They'll make a sequel to A Star Is Born starring me!"

Heh. Yeah sure, pal -- whatever.

3 comments:

steve simels said...

Testing…testing…is this thing on?

getawaygoober said...

Yes, it's on. Er, uh, I don't think I'll watch the show.
I might give Andress another listen on the Anthem.

edward said...

Heh