Monday, July 22, 2024

Nancy's Record Collection (And Mine): An Occasional Feature

Kurt Cobain covers a beloved ballad by The Beatles?

I must admit, I hadn't ever heard that version until last weekend (on the sound system at my local Forest Hills watering hole).

But wow. That's clearly the work of a guy who's not in the best possible mood.

I mean, I don't want to say Cobain had a gift in that regard, per se. But it's pretty remarkable that he could make his own personal depression seem so utterly contagious. 😎

5 comments:

ChrisE said...

Kurt also had a knack for finding good songs, in a wide variety of styles, by other artists and doing covers of them that showcased his own strengths as an artist/interpreter. Think of his versions of "The Man Who Sold The World" (David Bowie) or "Black Girl/In The Pines" (Leadbelly) from Nirvana's "UNPLUGGED" set, or the three (!) Meat Puppets songs on "NEVERMIND".

ChrisE said...

Correction: The three Meat Puppets covers are on the MTV "UNPLUGGED" set.

steve simels said...

Nirvana also covered a Shocking Blue song, which is one of the the first things that endeared them to me.

Rob B Mullen said...

This honestly sounds like it was recorded in a garage by the local teen just learning guitar who wants to start a band. To tell you the truth I was never a fan of the Seattle sound - give me an English "punk" band anytime
rob

danny1959 said...

Could be worse. Could be Morrissey.