Monday, June 09, 2008

Hell is Other People

And speaking, as we were over the weekend, of truly annoying singers, I can't believe I forgot to mention these two.



Granted, it's nice that the late Ruby Starr (nee Constance Henrietta Mierzwiak) wasn't wearing underwear when this was shot, but really -- the noises coming out of her mouth are decidedly non-U. And don't even get me started on Mr. James "Dandy" Mangrum.

BTW, I don't recall the exact circumstances but I actually saw Black Oak Arkansas back in the day. They were about as hideous as this clip suggests, but with a twist: When it came time for the obligatory ten minute drum solo the drummer got off the chair, went around to the front of his kit and played it with his hands.

As Paul Westerberg famously put it -- ah, the 70s. When dogshit really was dogshit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also saw Black Oak Arkansas once, but probably not as far back as you. They were opening for James Brown, which has to be up there for odd double bills.

Wendy said...

OMG. I remember seeing this and HATING it. Calling this "dogshit" is an insult to dogs everywhere.

And you mentioned Bjork in the Listomania ... can't stand her, or her pretentious filmmaker husband, Matthew Barney. His films are so pain-inducing I couldn't even sleep through them ...

Anonymous said...

Damn you, Simels!

I watched that whole clip just to see for myself that she wasn't wearing underwear. I didn't see anything, but now my ears are bleeding.

Anonymous said...

Damn you, Simels!

I watched almost that whole clip and I don't know which part made me want to upchuck my Sonics lunch the most - those FSM-awful hair-boots or the stuffed crotch on Mr. White-Pants. A butt-ass neckid woman shouter was just the cherry on the cake of this disaster.

KidRanger

Cleveland Bob said...

It's a fabalous disaster.

I remember staggering into my parents house one Friday night just in time to see these guys on The Midnight Special.

My old man just shook his head and proclaimed it "jungle music". Then he told me to wake up, get out of his chair and go to bed.