Friday, June 27, 2008

Weekend Listomania (Special More Songs About Buildings and Food -- No, Just Food! Video Edition)

Well, it's Friday and you know what that means. Yes, my Oriental flunky Hop-Sing and I are off to the picturesque Milford Shopping Center, where I'll be participating in Week Two of an open-ended pub crawl of the service bars (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Hooters, Applebees) in the company of Brian "Lubyanka" Hardig, a/k/a The Ohio Douche a/k/a The Author of the Greatest Letter to the Editor Ever.

In any case, as a result, posting by moi will necessarily be somewhat fitful for a few days.

But until then, as always, here's a fun project for you all to contemplate:

BEST POST-BEATLES COMMESTIBLE-THEMED POP/ROCK SONG OR BAND NAME!!!!

That's right, songs (and band names) referencing food and drink (nutritional value not important). Sorry about the post-Beatles thing, but otherwise there would be old songs too hideous to mention (so I won't mention any).

Another totally arbitrary rule: If anybody even mentions the band Bread, swear to god I'll take a hostage. First of all, they mostly suck. Second of all, I am convinced they were named in honor of money, not the staff of life.

Okay, here's my totally top of my head Top Ten:

10. The Newbeats -- Bread and Butter



From 1964. I always liked this song, but until I found the video on YouTube I don't think I had ever seen these guys, who are, let's face it, three of the biggest dorks ever. Interestingly (or tragically), the blonde guy in the middle went on to co-write Bette Midler's ever irksome "Wind Beneath My Wings."

9. The Beach Boys -- Vegetables



From the abortive Smile project. Tell me Brian Wilson isn't a genius.

8. Smashing Pumpkins -- Mayonaise



Jeezus, Billy Corgan again? What's he been in -- like the last five Listomanias?

7. ZZ Top -- TV Dinners



I was always parcel to the Hungry Man Fried Chicken, myself. Nice mashed potatoes and a cherry cobbler.

6. The Beatles -- Savoy Truffle



Not George Harrison's best song, perhaps, but the horns are a nice touch.

5. UB40 -- Red Red Wine



From the songbook of the great Neil Diamond, of course.

4. King Curtis -- Memphis Soul Stew



From Wiki: "On Friday August 13, 1971, at the height of a New York heat wave, King Curtis was carrying an air conditioner unit into his apartment at 50 W.86th St. He found his access blocked by two men administering drugs to themselves. He asked them to move. There was a scuffle, and one of the men, later identified as Juan Montanez, stabbed King Curtis in the heart with a knife. Curtis was hurried to Roosevelt Hospital, but was dead on arrival. The funeral was held four days later. As the mourners filed in, Curtis' Kingpins played an hour long version of "Soul Serenade" and a number of musicians got up to play. Jesse Jackson preached the service, and Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Cissy Houston, Brook Benton and Duane Allman were among those attending. Aretha sang the closing spiritual, 'Never Grow Old'. The Atlantic Records office closed for the day."

3. Hot Tuna -- Hesitation Blues



One of the things I loved about these guys was that they actually wanted to call the band Hot Shit.

2. Blondie -- Eat to the Beat



I'll grant you drummer extraordinaire Clem Burke steals this one, but my god -- will you check out the cheekbones on the singer?

And the number one song about commestibles, it's so yummy that it's not even a contest so why are we talking is --

1. Led Zeppelin -- The Lemon Song



What -- you mean it's not about citrus fruit?

Awrighty then -- what or who would your choices be?

[Shamelesss Blogwhore: My new movie Listomania (pretty funny, I might add) is up over at Box Office. As always, if you can see your way to leaving a comment over there, an angel gets its wings.]

25 comments:

TMink said...

Spill The Wine - Eric Burdon, I really thought this song was sexy when I was a youth.
Rock Lobster - B 52s, well, you could eat it.
Wild Honey - Beach Boys, for some reason the manical vocals work for me.
Koka Kola - The Clash, a 16 year old friend of mine says that the Clash killed punk. He could be right.
Sweet Potato - Cracker, they always sound to me as if they recorded while drunk.
Tangerine - Flaming Lips, but the Ben Folds Five did a boss version.
Milk - Garbage, their singer made depression so sexy.
No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature - damn those Canadians new how to write some catch pop tunes.

And of course, Cinnamon Girl - Neil.

Trey

The Kenosha Kid said...

I'm glad I got here early so I could mention Strawberry Alarm Clock! And their song "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow."

band:
The Peanut Butter Conspiracy - which you could put on a sandwich with The Jam

I Want Candy - the Strangeloves or Bow Wow Wow

Cookie Puss - The Beastie Boys

Nicotine & Gravy - Beck

Six Pack - Black Flag

Tropical Hot Dog Night - Captain Beefheart

a rockabilly classic - Drinkin Wine Spodeeodee (though I don't know who played it)

Skip said...

Wine Spodeeodee was originally R&B by Stick McGhee, covered by the Killer and Dean Carter I think.

Nick Lowe: "Let's Eat"

steve simels said...

Kenosha:

the Peanut Butter Conspiracy and the Jam?

You slay me!
:-)

Noam Sane said...

I don't want no tater
With no gravy on the top
And I don't want no salad
Or none of that other slop

There's only one thing I want in my life -
It's a RC Cola and a Moon Pie!

(i'd link to a video but NRBQ is poorly represented on YouTube. Shame, that).

Anonymous said...

Brown Sugar how come you taste so good? The Stones natch. And a cover from Shine A Light Champange and Reefer with a smoking hot assist from Buddy Guy after which Keef simply hands over his guitar to Buddy.

Anonymous said...

BREAD (WHO CARES )
Cheeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet
Strawberry Fields - The Beatles
The Candyman - Sammy Davis, Jr
(BAD SONG)
Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def leppard
Meatloaf (whatever)
Mashed Potato"-Dee Dee Sharp
The Jelly Beans

MBowen said...

No Milk Today - Herman's Hermits (brilliant!)

Meat - Robyn Hitchcock

Would You Like To Have Something To Eat? - The Donner Party

Eating Noddemix - Young Marble Giants

Eat a Horse - The Wygals

Dinner Bell - They Might Be Giants

Vegetable Row - Cotton Mather

Beer & Kisses - Amy Rigby

Beer Money - The Young Fresh Fellows

Have A Cuppa Tea - The Kinks, followed by

Have Another Drink - The Kinks

Anonymous said...

Coffee In bed - Squeeze
the banana boat song -Harry Bellafonte
MY BOY LOLLIPOP - Millie Small
Apricot Brandy - Rhinocerous
Raspberry Beret-Prince

Anonymous said...

"Two Triple Cheese Side Order of Fries" - Commander Cody

"Do Fries Come With That Shake?" - George Clinton

"Sugar Blues" - Thin Lizzy

Anonymous said...

"Chicken Cordon Blues" - Steve Goodman
"Memphis Women and Chicken" - Dan Penn
"Peanut Butter Conspiracy" - Jimmy Buffett
"Peaches" - The Stranglers
"Tupelo Honey" - Van Morrison

Anonymous said...

Bands
Pezband
Fishbone
Green Apple Quick Step
The Vejtables
Banana Splits (well, it was great pop/rock for those of us who were 2-3 at the time)

Songs
Mother Popcorn - James Brown
Fruit Loop Dreams - Shonen Knife
Cheese And Onions - The Rutles
Hokey Pokey (The Ice Cream Song) - Richard & Linda Thompson (no vid, alas)
Chocolate Cake - Crowded House

steve simels said...

MBowen said...
No Milk Today - Herman's Hermits (brilliant!)


That was the first song I downloaded illegally (from Napster, back in the day). It's been on mp3 players, and now my iPod, ever since.

Absolutely gorgeous. Had the great Grahame Gouldman written nothing else he would deserve to be immortal. Of course, he wrote a lot of other songs just as good.

My god, those chimes on the chorus....the whole thing is just so sad and mournfully beautiful. And on this one track, Noone is actually a terrific singer, hitting just the right note of regret and longing....

Anonymous said...

Tangerine - Led Zeppelin (Mostly, Led Zep conjures up hideous scenes of my suburban teen yrs: Camaros and Gran Torinos with Bondo'd fenders being polished by sunburned guys wearing cut-offs, drinking Bud; but I like III.)

The Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon - The Nice (a guilty pleasure)

Rappin Recipe - Don Cherry (Cherry states his recipe for sweet-potato salad, then cruises someone's record collection, over a funky rhythm; from the fabulous and hilarious Home Boy LP.)

There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis - Kirsty McColl (ah, Kirsty)

Give Me Cornbread When I'm Hungry - John Fahey

Ginger Snaps - Dean & Britta (gorgeous to listen to and to look at)

Mango Pickle Down River - M.I.A. (With The Wilcannia Mob providing some spooky vocals.)

Anonymous said...

Forgot one:
T-Bone - Neil Young & Crazy Horse. A total throwaway, but I love it.

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Is a Moby Grape edible?

Well, maybe not. But Red Hot Chili Peppers and Raspberries are.

Songs:

Honey Pie - Beatles
A Taste of Honey - Beatles
Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)- 4 Tops
Whiskey Bar - Doors
Brown Eyed Women (and Red Grenadine)- the Dead
Black Cow - Steely Dan
Expresso Love - Dire Straits
Tequila Sunrise - Eagles (oh, shut up)
Rice Pudding - Jeff Beck (I kid you not)
Java Jive - Manhattan Transfer
Cream - Prince
Lemon - U2
Crumbs from your Table - U2

Albums:
Eat a Peach - Allman Bros.
Goat's Head Soup - Stones (yech!)
Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan

Okay, now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

Fresh Fruit - from my favorite Procol Harum album

Orange Crush - REM

David Rasmussen said...

First food that came to mind for me was my 1993 cassette of surf band, Huevos Rancheros, being that I am too young for Flying Burrito Brothers, can not strongly recommend Taco's after 8, and was never a huge fan of Red Hot Chili Peppers

David Rasmussen said...

Two songs by Something Fierce-- Delightful Pineapple Recipes and Vegetable Guy.

Anonymous said...

Anyone mention "Pulling Mussels From the Shell" yet?

Unknown said...

bands/musicians
T-Bone Walker or Burnet
Casper and the Cookies
From Bubblegum to Sky
Apples in Stereo
Milk 'n' Cookies
Bubblegum Lemonade
Martha & the Muffins
California Oranges

albums
Let It Bee

from the winamp

Baskervilles "Sweet and Sour"
Lucksmiths- "Edward Sandwich Hand," "The Opposite of Coffee," "All the Recipes I've Ever Ruined," "Beer Nut" & "Art of Cooking For Two"
YMG- "Salad Days"
Katrina & the Waves- "Red Wine & Whiskey"
Friday Bridge- "Cherry Cookies"
Chairs in the Arno- "Popsicle"
Her Space Holiday- "Japanese Gum"
TMBG- "e eats everything"
Scary Monster- Hot Chocolate Girl"
Vivian Girls- "Kitten Lemonade Stand"
Ideal Free Distribution- "Apples and Oranges"
Imperial Teen "Sweet Potato"

dave™© said...

I cannot believe you left "Canned Ham" by Norman Greenbaum off this list!

steve simels said...

Katrina & the Waves- "Red Wine & Whiskey"

God, I love that song.

And "Canned Ham" -- what wasn't I thinking?

TMink said...

Savoy Truffle woke me up last night. Then I had a weird Power Pop dream. No kidding!

My mom was married to Eric Clapton. And he died, and I found the body. I was of course sad for him and my mom and music lovers the world over. Then I thought, I need to email this to Simels. A scoop will be great for his career.

No joke!

Trey