Thursday, January 01, 2009

Rock Power!

I missed this in the holiday rush, but Jim has a consideration of one of those staples of my childhood, the mix album. His looks especially cool, much cooler than the ones I had, certainly.

There's this one, for example:

It contains:
Side A: The Police/Message in a Bottle; Ellen Foley/Stupid Girl; Paul Collins' Beat/Rock 'n Roll Girl; David Werner/What's Right; Live Wire/Money; David Johansen/In Style; The Dickies/Fan Mail
Side B: Nina Hagen/Wir Leben Immer Noch; Joe Jackson/ I'm the Man; Bruce Wooley/English Garden; The Only Ones/Trouble in the World; Squeeze/Another Nail in My Heart; 20/20/Tell Me Why; The Romantics/When I Look in Your Eyes
.

Damn, now that's a chunk of history.

I also won, once, the vinyl copy of the Weekly Top 40 from my local radio station. Apparently, Casey Kasem made them in LA, they were shipped across the nation, and played by DJs everywhere. The number one song was "Enough is Enough" by Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer.

Which ones did you have?

7 comments:

Kid Charlemagne said...

Back in the day, I had a ton of K-Tel comps...

That's a cool comp with a bunch of not so obvious selections.

steve simels said...

Bruce Wooley had a song other than the original (superior to the Buggles) "Video Killed the Radio Star"? Who knew?

Speaking of which -- is that on CD? I think I need that...

NYMary said...

steve,
No, but my cousin Jake got a turntable with a USB output for Christmas, so there's that possibility...

MBowen said...

I got one too! Haven't hooked it up yet, as my computer area is kind of...disheveled, shall we say.

I remember seeing the comp you have listed in the record store way back when - what's particularly interesting was that at the time all those artists were signed to major labels.

Anonymous said...

Mary -
Heard about your loss on another thread - so very sorry for you and your ex's family. I've been a fan of Mr. Westlake since I was a kid - adore his caper novels - and it saddens me that I'll never have the chance to meet him.
peace! - Bill Buckner

Anonymous said...

(And NYMary and Simels MIGHT wanna know that my new fave-rave power pop band are coning East again:

http://www.myspace.com/magicchristian

-bb

danny1959 said...

The American version of Rock 80 was different, as I recall. It had Blondie and The Ramones on it. I worked in a record store at the time and played the shit out of it, but I never bought it, unfortunately.