Friday, June 16, 2006

Griefblogging

NTodd's mom died, suddenly, unexpectedly. He's in the air right now, on his way back from California. I have no words to ease pain I know he's feeling.

My mother, my grandmother, and my sister all died between 1997-2000. None were sudden, all were preceded by long periods of suffering. It took me literally years to "get my sparkle back," as Thers put it.

NTodd has suffered roughly similar losses--all unexpected--within less than a year.

Everything is inadequate now, but this song still chokes me up every time I hear it.

For you, NTodd.



The Offspring, "Gone Away."

2 comments:

Aloysius said...

Jesus. What awful news. I didn't know until sleepily opening up Eschaton today and finding your blogwhore (doesn't seem like the right word for this).

Kind of off-topic: Thanks for posting this. I'd never seen the vid... but back when I was trying to learn to play guitar (misguided midlife effort), this was one of the first songs my then 16- or 17-year old daughter insisted I learn the chords to. I'd strum them on a 12-string acoustic, and she'd sing, in this sweet, high voice. Gives you a slightly different take on the song. Right now I am consumed with the idea of hearing her sing it again. Better cut my nails and figure out where the guitar is sleeping.

You never know how much time you have in which to do things like that with the people you love.

ntodd said...

Thank you, darling. I'll keep you in the loop about memorial stuff.

Peace and love.