Sunday, November 04, 2007

Tales From the Post-Sexual Revolution

A sobering thought: Kids who were conceived while their parents were listening to Like A Virgin by Madonna are now college graduates.



Actually, I've never really understood this song. The implication seems to be that virginity is such a good thing that you would want to return to it. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me, especially considering who's singing it.

Of course I do have a Madonna theory: I think the reason teenage girls liked her so much back in the day was because she scared the shit out of teenage boys.

[h/t trifecta]

7 comments:

trifecta said...

Bon Jovi fueled conceptions are too frightful to imagine.

Anonymous said...

I was working at the UD at the time and lived on Main Street. The Newark Diner was my and my late BFF Tom's first stop of the day. The Greek and his American wife had two kids my nieces age (tweens) and they were always running around performing Madonna's song, wearing lace and everything else like a virgin but the exterior bra.


Good Times

Anonymous said...

I think the reason teenage girls liked her so much back in the day was because she scared the shit out of teenage boys.

You know this makes total sense to me ... she marketed a very perverse (and I don't mean that in a good way) image of female sexuality. Very hard and predatory, yet pretending to be "girly." What a fraud.

TMink said...

There is a little Bowie in Madonna. Not the talent though.

Trey

Anonymous said...

I think the reason teenage girls liked her so much back in the day was because she scared the shit out of teenage boys.

Teenage boys like myself thought she was just a whore. Especially when compared to someone like Cyndi Lauper.

steve simels said...

To show you how culturally prescient I am, back in the 80s I was positive Cyndi Lauper would have had the career Madonna actually had.

You know, because she was super talented and cool and smart and funny and adorable and sexy.

Who knew?

The Kenosha Kid said...

Actually, I've never really understood this song. The implication seems to be that virginity is such a good thing that you would want to return to it. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me, especially considering who's singing it.

Mr. Pink explains the meaning of this song in Reservoir Dogs.