Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Annals of Critical Confusion: An Occasional Series

From 2003, please enjoy latter day folk-rock/power-pop icons The Shins and their fabulous cover of a song -- "We Will Become Silhouettes" -- by a band -- The Postal Service -- I had never heard of until the other day.



The Shins are one of those acts that, on paper at least, are designed with my mind in mind, and that I should theoretically like a lot. But in reality have always left me cold.

That track is great, however, and I'll have more to say about both bands tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I await your comments, Steve. I really want to like the Shins. I guess I need someone's nudging.

-Paul

Mark said...

The Postal Service, as you may know, is a project of Death Cab For Cuties's Ben Gibbard, who last year released his (Gibbard's) second solo album, a full-length cover of Teenage Fanclub's best album, BANDWAGONESQUE, and it's very nice.

The Postal Service's GIVE UP album, from which the song We Will Become Silhouettes comes, is sublime. Gibbard is one sharp musician, as is James Mercer of The Shins, and Death Cab For Cutie has a string of wonderful albums.