Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Songs I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved (An Occasional Series): Special "I Am Not a Number!" Edition

From 1983, please enjoy Brit power pop/punksters The Times and their fab gear single "I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape."

Mashups between The Beatles and The Spencer Davis Group ("Keep On Running") don't get any better, I think you'll agree.

BTW, as long-time readers are no doubt aware, that song looms large in my legend for extra-musical reasons. As in -- here I am, a few years ago, in London in front of the actual apartment McGoohan escaped to.

As for The Times, although I remember plugging the single in the pages of TMFKAS at the (er) time, I know little about them, although my research staff on crack informs me that an apparently well-regarded guy named Ed Ball (that's him on the single picture sleeve) was also the man behind several other period bands of note, including Television Personalities and Teenage Filmstars. Recommendations for future listening gratefully acceped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can recommend Teenage Filmstars' 'I Apologize' as a catchy new wave morsel. As to Television Personalities, who were a bit more of a challenge, 'You Don't Know How Lucky You Are' for catchy-but-gritty, and the eleven-minute-plus neo-psychedelic epic of 'Closer To God'.
To use your line: You're welcome.
C in California

Alzo said...

Television Personalities' Part-Time Punks is the first and last word on poseurs- and a lot of fun, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmbJdcsGl_Q