Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Your Tuesday Moment of Why Didn't I Get the Memo?

From 1968 (like you couldn't tell from the video) please enjoy brief-lived (and heretofore unknown to me) mod/freaakbeat Brit power trio Fire and their minor UK hit "Father's Name is Dad."

As I hinted above, I had never even heard of those guys till last Sunday (St. Paddy's Day), when another clip of "Dad" popped up on a couple of Facebook pages I follow; I figured maybe it was because they were Irish, but no -- they're Brits, and it was just a coincidence.

In any event, a fabulous record in that sort of eratz Who/Creation style that was all the rage back then. I should add that the band's leader/songwriter/guitarist Dave Lambert went on to join better known folk-rock hitmakers The Strawbs, with whom he played on a few records I actually HAVE heard of, including the great working class anthem "Part of the Union."

I should also add that Fire's other single that year was "Round the Gum Tree" backed with "Toothie Ruthie."

To my knowledge, the only two-sided dental-themed record in rock history.

Heh.

6 comments:

Gummo said...

Father's Name is Dad has been featured on a lot of mod collections over the years, earning it a well-deserved 2nd life among collectors. Great song!

Allan Rosenberg said...

That song was okay, almost good. But I'm getting sick of these mod/freakbeat compilations filled with mostly mediocre music. As I have been know to say: "There's a reason a certain song wasn't a hit".

Also: Is that David Bowie at 1:52?

Grouchy (but right) Captain Al

Alzo said...

Great beat!

Jai Guru Dave said...

The song was FULLY good. (You’re wrong Captain Al). Great riff; and I get a Ray Davies vibe from the vocal.
Was that the video for the song at the time; or has that stock footage been appended more recently?
.

steve simels said...

JGD -- I think that was the video at the time, but don't quote me...

steve simels said...

And yeah, Capt. Al -- that really looks like Bowie...