Friday, March 08, 2024

Weekend Listomania: Special "You Can't Get There From Here" Edition

[I posted the original version of this in 2008 -- Hole. E. Shit!!! -- but it struck me as newly pertinent now that our esteemed New York governor, in a ludicrously tone deaf attempt to co-opt the Trumpist Republicans' cynical and stupid THE IMMIGRANTS ARE COMING TO RAPE YOU! campaign, is actually deploying the National Guard into the NYC subway system to do bag checks of little old ladies purses. Genius!!!

In any case I've done a lot of re-writing of the thing, and switched in a couple of new items so as not to seem like the slacker asshole I actually am. That notwithstanding, enjoy.]

And the subject of our new and revised Listomania is...

BEST POST-ELVIS POP/ROCK/SOUL/COUNTRY SONG OR RECORD WHOSE TITLE REFERENCES A MODE OF TRANSPORTATION!!!!!

Totally arbitrary rule: No title utilizing the words "road" or "street" need apply. Sorry.

Okay, that said, here's my totally top of my head Top Eight.

8. Bitchin' Camaro (The Dead Milkmen)

I'm not sure if this is as funny as the DMs thought it was at the time, but you gotta give it this -- it's got one of the longest spoken word intros in rock history.

7. Little Deuce Coupe (The Beach Boys)

Pretty much my all time favorite car song, and I love this clip, from a closed-circuit theater concert which I actually saw in a local (Jersey) cinema when it was first broadcast.

6. Last of the Steam Powered Trains (Ed Kuepper and Mark Dawson)

The original is from the Kinks' epochal Village Green album, of course, and I've always wondered why nobody ever covered it. Turns out Ed Kuepper, the lead singer of the great Australian punk band The Saints, actually did.

5. Chestnut Mare (The Byrds)

Because "A Horse With No Name" is just too stupid for words, and I couldn't find a video for Procol Harum's "A Christmas Camel" that I liked. Heh.

4. A tie!!!

Theme from Route 66 (Nelson Riddle)

George Maharis and Martin Milner come home -- all is forgiven.

...and...

Route 66 (Some asshole whose name rhymes with Sleeve Nimels)

I can't think of another rock song that's inspired so many terrific covers in so many styles -- Depeche Mode, anybody? -- but this isn't one of them. Hey -- if memory serves, there were some alcoholic beverages being consumed.

3. Rocket in My Pocket (Jimmy Lloyd)

That's Jimmy Lloyd a/k/a Jimmy Logsdon ("The Man Without a Subtitle" in Nick Tosches brilliant Unsung Heroes of Rock n Roll, still the best and funniest book about roots music ever) and what was for many years one of the rarest and in-demand rockabilly obscurities ever recorded. You might recall it from The Iron Giant soundtrack, of course.

2. My White Bicycle (Tomorrow)

Brilliant Summer of Love psychedelic pop, even if the guitarist is the pre-Yes Steve Howe.

And the number one transportation-themed song, it's not even a contest so don't bug me, is --

1. Trains and Boats and Planes (Fountains of Wayne)

For obvious reasons, of course, not the least of which it's just so gorgeously mournful. Yeah, yeah, I realize the Dionne Warwick version is pretty much the peak product of her Bachrach/David collaboration, but a lot of the covers out there are really good. And I think FOW pretty much nailed it, no?

Awrighty then -- what would your choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody!!!!

23 comments:

edward said...

Free associating first thing in the morning:

Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees (happy birthday Mickey)
Leaving on a Jet Plan -Peter, Paul and Mary/John Denver
My Kingdom for a Car - Phil Ochs
It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry - Bob Dylan
Ol' 55 - Tom Waits/Eagles
Dodge Vegematic - Jonathan Richman
From a Buick 6 - Bob Dylan
Baby You Can Drive My Car - The Beatles
Acoustic Motorbike -Luka Bloom
MGB-GT - Richard Thompson

Anonymous said...

1952 Vincent Black Lightning (Richard Thompson)
Train To Nowhere (Savoy Brown)
Mystery Train (Elvis)
Nantucket Sleighride (Mountain)
These are all my my first couple of homemade mixtapes of 'All-Time Favorites".
C in California

Anonymous said...

Jonathan Richman - Since She Started To Ride
and You’re Crazy For Taking The Bus, both from Jonathan Goes Country.

- Paul in DK

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

a jonathan richman song - roadrunner - and a donovan song - fat angel chorus line "fly translove airways" - came to mind right away but although they are about the experience of traveling the mode of transport is not in the title

maybe closer is kate bush's song rocket's tail - i like this performance by tribute group cloudbusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z618ynL2U5s

Sal Nunziato said...

Utopia- The Road To Utopia
Johnny Thunders- Subway Train

And speaking of the subway, I don't mind The National Guard.
I know more than a few people who have been harassed, robbed at knife point and yes, punched in the head while riding during regular day time hours.
I assure you, no cop or Guardsman is going to be bothering little old ladies and their handbags.

paulinca said...

No one has said Hot Rod Lincoln yet?! I like the arbitrary rule, which I think is designed to keep the list from being a Springsteen setlist ;)

paulinca

steve simels said...

Sal — I won’t mind the National Guard if they can keep the break dancers shoes away from my nose.😎

Sal Nunziato said...

Steve,
And them too!

Anonymous said...

Sail Away: Randy Newman

Nine Million Bicycles: Katie Melua (She told me you could have her, Steve, if you played your cards right)

Rocket Man: Kate Bush cover

Thanks for the Ed Kuepper, he should be better known.

Anonymous said...

walking to new orleans -fats domino
walk of life - dire straits
walking in the rain - the ronettes
walk this way - aerosmith
walk on by - dionne warwick
you gotta walk (don't look back) peter tosh/ mick jagger
rs

Anonymous said...

Magic Carpet Ride Steppenwolf
You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd Roger Miller
One After 909 Beatles
City of New Orleans Steve Goodman
Carry Me The Stampeders
Crawling From The Wreckage Dave Edmunds

John K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allan Rosenberg said...

Train Kept A Rollin' - Yardbirds/Johnny Burnette & The Rock 'n Roll Trio
This Time Tomorrow - The Kinks
Smokestack Lightning - Howlin' Wolf

Think I'll leave a lot more for everybody else to add.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Steve-that is not bad

Alzo said...

Some fun from Down Undah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrkuo0y8gMU

Alzo said...

Lest I forget my favorite axeman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Juz4W9yEYA

Anonymous said...

Alzo, that Chats song is a good'un, but their classic is Smoko. I played the latter every day for weeks back when I first heard it, and it still kills me.
And Ed Kuepper was the Saints' guitarist, not singer; the late great Chris Bailey was their singer.
C in California

ChrisE said...

The Sonics - Boss Hoss (not only one of the greatest car songs ever, but also one of the greatest rock-n-roll records ever).

Anonymous said...

• Orange Blossom Special - Johnny Cash
• I-95 - Fountains of Wayne (they have a LOT of transportation songs.... Seatbacks and Traytables, '95 Subaru, Yolanda Hayes, Utopia Parkway, Survival Car, Leave the Biker, Acela, and so on)

• Downtown Train - Tom Waits
• Adventure Rocketship - Robyn Hitchcock
• If I Had a Boat - Lyle Lovett
• Sail On Sailor - The Beach Boys
• Starship Trooper - Yes
• Red Barchetta - Rush
• 5:15 - The Who
• Catherine Wheels - Crowded House
• Driver 8 - R.E.M.

getawaygoober said...

LA Freeway - Jerry Jeff Walker
Walking Blues - Paul Butterfield Blues Band

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

footnotes

1/that pool party looks like fun - also I like the t shirt slogan 'straight outta Teaneck'

2/speaking of Dionne Warwick/Bacharach/David I came across Lake Street Dive's 'anyone who had a heart' and have listened repeatedly


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJPqnP3bJEQ

Cleveland Jeff said...

I'm surprised no one said Rocket In My Pocket by Little Feat

BG said...

Pink Cadillac - Aretha
Cadillac Ranch - Bruce (hey, you’ve gotta have at least one)
Mystery Train -The Band
Magic Bus -The Who
Mercedes Benz - Janis
Drive - The Cars
Bicycle - Queen
Sloop John B - Beach Boys