Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Karl Wallinger 1957 - 2024

The auteur of The Waterboys and World Party has passed. Damn, I'd forgotten how much I loved this song of his.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- this death shit is really starting to piss me off.

PS: I'd also forgotten that I reviewed the album from whence that song derives. Here it is, in the September 1990 issue of Stereo Review.

Jeez, I really was a cynical bastard back then. I mean, the digs at XTC and Todd Rundgren strike me as a bit much. Other than that, however, I think I got the album right.

6 comments:

John K said...

That was a nice review Steve and, if you want to be even more pissed....Eric Carmen also died.

steve simels said...

I heard about Carmen right after I finished writing about Wallinger. Not a fun day.

Sal Nunziato said...

"I really was a cynical bastard back then."

Back then?
xoxo

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

a joyful song and a great band name

grief is a consequence of love

we are all time-limited phenomena - and memory can be a blessing

as the george carlin character says in the bill & ted movie

be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

daudder said...

RIP to the great Karl Wallinger. He defineatly goes into the "You never know what you got til its gone' category. One of the greats...

billy b said...

Ouch. Wallinger was a favorite.