Thursday, November 27, 2008

An Unusually Early Holiday Weekend Clue to the New Direction

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Of course, despite the fact that it's a holiday, Weekend Listomania will proceed as always. So from 1968, and one of the very greatest albums (Face to Face) of its decade, here's The Kinks and their splendidly harpsichord-laden "Two Sisters."



I've always liked to think that Ray based this, at least in part, on DeSade's Justine and Juliette, but of course I have no idea whether that's true or not.

In any case, a coveted PowerPop No-Prize will be awarded the first reader who glean's it's (admittedly oblique) relation to the theme of Friday's Weekend Listomania.

And if you get this one, my hat's really off to you!

[Shameless Blogwhore: My parallel Weekend Cinema Listomania (theme: Great Doggie Films!) is now up over at Box Office. If you could go over there and leave a comment, it would definitely get me in good with management. Thanks!]

16 comments:

The Kenosha Kid said...

one of the very greatest albums (Face to Face) of its decade

Not "Something Else by The Kinks?"

Also, my guess: songs about siblings.

steve simels said...

I go back and forth over which album is better. This week I think it's Face to Face, what can I tell you?

And no, not songs about siblings. Although I may steal that, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

My guess, songs that reference food.

Phil

Sal Nunziato said...

Songs thinly disguised as songs about other people but are really autobiographical.

Happy Holidays

ms. rosa said...

songs about freedom? songs about relationships between two people who are not current, former, or future lovers (erp! at least i hope not!) ?

"songs that reference food"...

sweartogod and relavent to post and comment, i just requested "skin and bones" from my local DJ who asked for food-based songs.

steve simels said...

Very good guesses all, but no alas.

Kid Charlemagne said...

"Two sisters" if the Kinks bio I have is correct, is about Ray and Dave's sibling rivalry. Great song and God, I love Ray Davies.

Anonymous said...

The Kid has a great guess sibling rivalry. That would have been my guess.

So I'll throw another guess out there: songs with Harpsichord !

ROTP(lumber)

steve simels said...

Ray and Dave have sibling rivalry?

Who knew?

Incidentally, KC -- he hangs out at my current wateringhole at odd times. I haven't seen him yet, but one of the lady bartenders has a huge crush on him.

Anonymous said...

Arthur is my favorite Kinks album at the moment.

ROTP(lumber)

steve simels said...

Anonymous said...
The Kid has a great guess sibling rivalry. That would have been my guess.

So I'll throw another guess out there: songs with Harpsichord !

ROTP(lumber)

You're extremely close, you bastard, but because it's early I'm not giving you the No-Prize until somebody hits it exactly.


Grr........

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I know how your mind works, and it scares me.

If you ever run into Ray buy him a drink for me.

I'm seeing Ray on him next tour in December up at the Baudivan Theater in Poughkeepsie. If the music & audience response I've heard from the previous tour are the same at this show it's gonna be a riot, figuratively & literally. I haven't looked so forward to seeing Ray since the early 1970's.

ROTP(lumber)

steve simels said...

He was on the Craig Ferguson show last week...great, as usual.

dave™© said...

SOngs with Nicky Hopkins on keyboards? (I have no idea if Hopkins is playing on this, btw...)

steve simels said...

I don't have the album credits in front of me, but if it isn't Hopkins, I'm guessing Brian Auger.

Who played the harpsichord on "For Your Love."

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Songs that have no fear of the mighty kazoo?