Monday, November 27, 2017

And Speaking of Gorgeous...

From 1979, and the just released collection -- on Omnivore, where it belongs -- of the complete Sire recordings by The Searchers...


...please enjoy this exquisite cover of Tom Petty's "Lost in Her Eyes."



The two original LPs anthologized on this new set are among the very best pop-rock artifacts of their era; they've been collected before, on an Australian label if memory serves, but this new one has superior remastered sound and some interesting bonus tracks.

Highly recommended, and if you haven't heard the cover (on disc two) of "September Gurls" your life is the poorer for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wounded Bird Records, an American reissue company, also had them out on separate Cds. But their product tends to be kind of bare-bones. I'm sure that Omnivore's, in addition to the bonus tracks, will have a bit more scholarship, so theirs is the package I'll be getting.

J. Lag

Mark said...

@J. Lag - I too have the Wounded Bird CD releases, which replaced my Sire album versions. Wounded Bird re-released a LOT of great albums on CD for folks like me.

Anonymous said...

The Australian release is from 1997 on Raven Records. Discogs lists it here: http://bit.ly/2Ad1Esa.

-- P.S.

Anonymous said...

MARK,
Sorry, I didn't mean my comment to be a backhanded slag of Wounded Bird. I own several CDs they've put out and, to their credit, over the years they've licensed and reissued many worthwhile albums - in many different genres - that the big music corporations probably wouldn't put out themselves. (Or W. BIRD put back in circulation stuff that the big corporations themselves had out but then deleted). I'm certainly glad W. BIRD has survived and is still issuing stuff. I just meant that with most of the reissues they do you don't get a lot of extras and, if handled properly, those extras enhance what's being reissued.

J. Lag