Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Your Tuesday Moment of Words Fail Me

From 2004, it's Say Anything and their harrowing yet strangely uplifting "Alive With the Glory of Love."



This song, which I think is kind of a masterpiece, is also newly relevant, given the horrific scenes of children in cages we've been seeing for the last couple of days. That's all I'm gonna say about that at the moment. In any case, this is to my knowledge the only pop punk song whose subject is the love between a Jewish man and woman beset by the Nazis during WW II.

On a less somber note, I can only add that any song that steals the beat from The Supremes' "You Can't Hurry Love" is probably eternally relevant.

[h/t Dan Fridman]



4 comments:

Ken J Xenozar said...

Wow! That is quite the song. Musically, I love it. Was this part of a larger work? The question is, does this trivialize the subject? I think no. I bet that people were crazy, horny in love like this in the midst of atrocities. But I would like to hear from others.

Hits repeat, listens again.

steve simels said...

Speaking as a Red Sea Pedestrian, I totally don't think the song trivializes the subject. In fact, if anything, I think it humanizes it, and brings the subject frighteningly close to home.

On the other hand, I know people who think the oeuvre of Mel Brooks is deeply offensive to Holocaust survivors, but those people are assholes.

Ken J Xenozar said...

I would agree with you Steve. I think I have made a blanket assumption that nothing beautiful or lovely (or horny) could happen in a situation like that. This song humanizes the situation. Make you think that even in bleak times, that lady with black eyeliner could get you revved up. Great find.

Anonymous said...

I don't think so....

If their intent was good (and my guess is, it is...) the performance just doesn't convince me it's sincere.

Sometimes a sad song has to be sad to convince the listener. (With the exception of a Mel Brooks song but this one is not that effective).

Captain Al