Thursday, April 29, 2021

It's Rolling Stones Cover Week: Part IV -- She's Late For a Very Important Date

From 1966, please enjoy pleasantly gruff-voiced blue-eyed soul guy Chris Farlowe and his hit (in the UK) version of the Rolling Stones' Aftermath classic "Out of Time."

Farlowe had a few other succesful records in the UK -- on Andrew Loog Oldham's Immediate Records label -- and apparently the Stones were quite fond of him. I suspect if he had been a little more conventionally attractive, he'd have been a bigger star, but who knows? In any case, he's had a very long and productive career in the company of a variety of artists, including most recently Van Morrison.

I should add that you can hear the same backing track, only with vocal by Mick Jagger, on the Rolling Stones' unfairly maligned 1975 outtakes album Metamorphosis.

4 comments:

Alzo said...

Nice vocal, although I prefer the Stones' final cut. Because of his success as a publicist and manager, Andrew Oldham fancied himself the next Phil Spector as well. Unchecked by the Mick n Keith, his orchestrations are rather heavy-handed at times. That is not Charlie Watts on drums and it's too bad. I agree that 'Metamorphosis' is a good collection- if there was any malign feeling about it, it likely reflected the feeling that it was a cash-in for Abkco.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...no, please remain seated,

Always loved this song although I, too, prefer the Stones version. Yeah, Metamorphosis gets a bit of a bum rap. So, since it’s Stones cover week, let me contribute a selection of my own. You probably know this one, but I can not risk that you don’t.

Behold! The 5th Dimension singing perhaps one of the greatest Stones songs of all time: Moonlight Mile...

https://youtu.be/awTyFcSwGZ4

(I’ll see myself out now)

RichD

danny1959 said...

I have always loved Metamorphosis. As I recall, it competed in the charts with Made In the Shade.

Butch said...

Liked Chris's version of the Leon Russell song Hummingbird on Jimmy Page's solo album Outrider.