Monday, February 14, 2022

Comedic and Novelty Tales From the Original Vinyl Age: Part I -- The Creme de la Creme of the Horror Race

From some time in my youth, please enjoy the great Hans Conreid and Alice Pearce and the title track to the fabulous musical/comedy album Monster Rally.

I can't find any specific info -- release date or musical credits -- for this, but I know I originally bought it (probably while in Junior High) at the Teaneck Record Shop, which was located on the block below on Cedar Lane, the main commercial drag in my home town. And it was probably in the early 60s, which is when Universal released all their classic horror movies to television.

And yes, obviously, that fabulous cover is by the great MAD Magazine artist Jack Davis.

I should add that the whole album is a major hoot, and while it has never been (to my knowledge) transferred to CD, it's up at YouTube in its entirety.

5 comments:

GetAwayGoober said...

Ehhh, just never got into this stuff... Monster Mash, Flying Purple People-eater, etc. Seemed pretty lame. Kids' stuff, I guess.

Anonymous said...

It was kid's stuff and we were the kids!

Doctored Captain Al

ChrisE said...

I just checked on Discogs (www.discogs.com) and it is listed there. While there is no run-down of which musicians played on the album, it does confirm that the cover art was by Jack Davis and that there was no CD pressing of the album. It also shows dates & catalog #s for two pressings of the vinyl LP on RCA, including one which was part of that company's "Living Stereo" series.

Alzo said...

Hans Conreid is always worth a listen. He was one of those beatnik-era eccentrics like Dick Shawn and Jonathan Winters.

FD13NYC said...

I remember this, cool funny stuff!