Friday, February 18, 2022

It's Runt Friday!!!

So by way of setting the stage, as it were, it's not exactly a state secret that I have mixed feelings about Todd Rundgren.

The short version: He's a genius producer, I absolute adore his first band Nazz, think some of the stuff on Something/Anything is great (The Floor Models used to do "Couldn't I Just Tell You" live), but detest his work with Utopia and think most of his solo albums since the middle 70s are at best, er, inconsistent.

That said, our friend Sal Nunziato, proprietor of the invaluable Burning Wood blog, is a huge fan, and he has alerted us to the fact there's a just released tribute album in honor of Something/Anything, which HE has mixed feeings about.

Me, off the top of my proverbial head, I love two of the covers.

First, Carole King's daughter Louise Goffin's take on "I Saw the Light"...

...and second, Marshall Crenshaw's sweetly acoustic version of the aforementioned "Couldn't I Just Tell You".

Have a great weekend, everybody!

[h/t Sal Nunziato]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Utopia album ended up in my collection when you got rid of it and I thought I'd give it a try. It went out my door very quickly also.

doctored Captain al

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Steve - Rundgren...I have a friend who lived with him for 3 years. INN addition his girlfriend, Jane Millet painted/designed a # of Uropia album covers This involved some interesting times - Todd was living with Steven Tyler's wife
I have some great stories about Todd/ Woodstock no one has ever heard - text me at dorethyroad@aol.com and I will give you a couple pages of his/my friends life's living with him
rob
.