Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Comedic and Novelty Tales From the Original Vinyl Age: Part III -- Special Non-Testosterone Edition

From 1972, please enjoy the incomparable Godfrey Daniel doing to Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman" what nature always intended.

This is a bonus track from the CD reissue of one of the funniest LPs I've ever heard; it first crossed my desk back in college, when I was a pre-professional rock critic who was getting free albums because I was writing reviews for my school newspaper (man, I've led a charmed life).

In any case, it was performed and produced by two free-lance NYC engineers who mostly worked for Atlantic Records. It's out of print at the moment, but I'll be happy to burn you a copy if you ask me nicely.

5 comments:

GetAwayGoober said...

I prefer the NatLamp / Gilda Radner parody "I'm a Woman" from the Goodbye Pop album.

https://www.elsewhere.co.nz/fromthevaults/3067/national-lampoon-im-a-woman-1975/

edward said...

Sounds like the progenitor of Big Daddy

steve simels said...

Oh, it's pretty much a dead cert that Big Daddy got the idea from Godfrey Daniel.

danny1959 said...

There's a Godfrey Daniel's folk club in Bethlehem, PA down the street from Lehigh University where I went to grad school. The name comes from W.C. Fields.

Dave Meredith said...

Hey Steve - A bit late to the dance on this one, but I have it on pretty good authority that Godfrey Daniel was:

Andy Soloman / All vocals and all instruments, and
Dave Palmer / Percussion.

The noteworthy bit is that these two were both recent ex-members of Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes (!!!).

My old LP copy of this album (their one and only) doesn't offer any bonus tracks such as the one which you have posted. So, yes, if you remain open to the idea of sending CD copies, I'd be quite keen to receive one!

Cheers - (dmkinetics) / (hotmail) / (com)