Monday, February 28, 2022

Songs I'd Forgotten I Loved From Albums I'd Forgotten Existed (An Occasional Series): Special "Those Wacky Canadians" Edition

From 1972, please enjoy Canuck power-popsters The Wackers and their utterly gorgeous (and Beatle-esque) cover of John Lennon's "Oh My Love."

Basically, that track -- the original is on Imagine, BTW -- sounds like what John's version might have sounded like if the Fabs had recorded it for inclusion on Abbey Road.

I should add that since the song is about a certain Japanese woman who will not be name-checked by me, the inclusion of a koto on the intro is a particularly nice touch.

5 comments:

Jai Guru Dave said...

This entire album is STUNNINGLY good. (Assuming you like Beatlesque power pop. And if you don’t, what’s wrong with you?)
You know how there are absolute gems in your record collection that practically nobody else has ever even heard of? This album is one of those.
These guys could really write, sing, and play. HIGHLY recommended!
Any idea what became of them?

steve simels said...

Bob Segarini, who wrote the songs, had a moderately successful solo career and then apparently went into tv and film production work.

steve simels said...

Correction -- he went into radio, and was a popular classic rock DJ in Canada. He's still around, apparently.

FD13NYC said...

I remember them, good band, upon my recollection.

ChrisE said...

If you want to hear a nice, catchy piece of jangly pop-rock, check out Segarini's cover of the Slade song "When The Lights Go Out". It was released as a single (at least in Canada, where I live) and was also included on his late 70s album "GOODBYE POP". As well, that album's last track (the title escapes me at the moment) is one of the best songs ever written about the break-up of the Beatles.