Monday, March 21, 2022

The Perfect Antidote for Today's Hit Parade of Hell!

From 1960, please enjoy the Ray Bryant Combo and a semi-official video for their wonderfully infectious regional hit the "The Madison Time."

The song itself is probably best known for being featured in John Waters' Hairspray, which is one of the best movie dance sequences of the last few decades, but the above -- which was I unaware of until last weekend -- just knocks me out.

I should add that the two dancers are named Joan Darby and Joe Cash. The question now before the court is whether the sobriquets were adapated by the late Darby Crash, lead singer of the legendary LA punk band The Germs, for his more familiar nom de rock.

4 comments:

Alzo said...

Oh, man. If ever there was a blog post that bounced to extremes, it's this one. You give us this charming clip and then you invoke DARBY CRASH?! The dude was reminiscent of that cat in 'Trainspotting' who wanted to die like Iggy Pop- only to be told that the Ig is alive, well and golfing.

Anonymous said...

They dance like white folks with a broomstick shoved up their asses!!!

I know about dancing like that because I'm often accused of dancing like that by my wife when she's stuck dancing with me at bar mitzvahs.

Doctored Captain Al

steve simels said...

Alzo -- it was a joke. :-)

Sal Nunziato said...

One of my favorite videos of all time!
I bought a 45 collection years ago and there was an original copy of the Ray Bryant single, and tucked inside the sleeve was a fold out of "How To Do The Madison" complete with Arthur Murrauy dance steps. I still have it.