Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Singles Whose B-Sides I'd Forgotten I Loved And Whose A-Sides I Never Cared For (An Occasional Series)

From 1972, and the flip of their massive hit "My Love," please enjoy Wings and their definitively rockin' live version of "The Mess."

The 45 of this crossed my desk at The Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review back in the day, and I remember thinking -- and possibly writing about -- that as sappy as "My Love" was, at least this proved that Macca could still rock authoritatively. And I played it pretty much until the vinyl wore out.

I should add that there's a studio version of this (that was originally gonna be included on Wings' Red Rose Speedway) that's available on YouTube, but the above concert version is much better.

10 comments:

Alzo said...

The B-side is fun. But 'sappy' doesn't do justice to 'My Love' which is my nominee for worst number-one single ever by a major artist. It's a crowded field, but go ahead and name a worse one.

daudder said...

Bashing Paul is less in vogue now, but he still gets the occasional drive by bashing. Is it his fault so many people bought, listened to and enjoy My Love? Maybe overplayed, but it is a beautiful melody and sentiment.

That said the rocking Paul was always in evidence (Beware my Love, for instance)

Sal Nunziato said...

Aside from the beautiful melody and arrangement of My Love, it contains one of the greatest guitar solos put to wax,courtesy of Henry McCulloch.

Alzo said...

Yes, Macca is the Babe Ruth of 20th century songwriters- but everyone knows he's had his clunkers (that Christmas song comes to mind). Maybe it's because he hasn't had a Lennon or Martin around.

Sal Nunziato said...

"but everyone knows he's had his clunkers"

I can list about 40 <acca clunkers in under 3 minutes, but "My Love" ain't one of'em.

Sal Nunziato said...

*Macca clunkers

Alzo said...

Eh, I'll give it another close listen. Maybe I hated it cuz it was on the radio constantly. Sal, I'm glad you find pleasure in it.

Anonymous said...

"The Mess" is great!

Fuck "My Love"! Sappy beyond belief,

Doctored Captain Al (the "commie" agitator!)

Sal Nunziato said...

Captain,
You're on Auto!

mistah charley, ph.d. said...

speaking of sir paul's seventies output, i have very much enjoyed the cover available on youtube of 'let me roll it' by fiona apple with the roots