Thursday, June 16, 2022

Records I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved: An Occasional Feature (Special "Who Were These Guys, Anyway?" Edition)

From 1965, please enjoy Brit popsters Unit Four plus Two (featuring future Argent drummer Bob Henrit) and their quite lovely Beatles/Beach Boys-esque take on the venerable pop hit "When I Fall In Love."

The song itself -- co-written written by celebrated film composer Victor Young -- was originally featured in a 1952 Robert Mitchum Cold War thriller, and has been covered innumerable times, including by Linda Ronstadt and Rick (It Was Ghastly) Astley.

The version above, however, was the B-side of the international hit "Concrete and Clay," and as a teenager I used to play it obsessively. I mean more than the A-side; it had a Dion and the Belmonts doo wop vibe that somehow connected with the pre-college me.

A lovely record, in any case, and nice to be re-acquainted with it after all these years.

5 comments:

Alzo said...

Well, that was delightful. I'm surprised you didn't mention that Henrit was also a future Kink.

DrBob said...

Digging the Duane Eddy tone sneaking in. And they could sing.

MJConroy said...

Russ Ballard of Argent was also in the group.

Alzo said...

Argent- now there's a group that's seriously under-appreciated. The only Prog band I've ever really liked. 'Be Glad' has always been in heavy rotation at my place. Interesting that Henrit and Ballard were the 'Plus Two.'

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Jeezus Krist - 1965 - our vintage 6' stereo with radio, very Ozzie and Harriet parents. We lived in a small town where the only place you could buy records was the "Ben Franklin"" where it sold a lot of cover records - LSS - Unit 4 +2 , Concrete and Clay was among my first records Thx for the memory
Rob