Saturday, June 04, 2022

Your Weekend Moment of "How Do You Say Backstory?" in French: Special Today We Are Le Vinyl Edition

So anyway, the short version.

Sometime last year, I got an e-mail out of the blue from a lovely gentleman from Canada (specifically Quebec) previously unknown to me named Martin Tremblay. Turned out Martin ran an indie label -- Mean Bean -- which specialized in late 70s/early 80s power pop and punk reissues on vinyl. Martin -- god only knows how -- had heard of The Floor Models, asked me if I would like to contribute a track, and specifically asked for our "Enough's Enough," which is the song I would have picked myself. He had previously issued two volumes of this stuff, beautifully packaged -- liner notes about each band, an insert map poster showing where each band was based -- and, flattered beyond belief, I told him I was in (duh), and sent him a remastered version of our song.

In any case, the album was released earlier in the week -- as promised, a 12-inch LP like the good old days -- and it's absolutely fabulous on every level (love the cover, for example).

Anyway, here's a couple of representative tracks, beginning with the opener -- The Tearjerkers' Beach Boys-esque "Syracuse Summer" (bet you can't guess where those guys were from)...

...plus my favorite track (for obvious reasons) -- The Floor Models' "Enough's Enough," featuring yours truly on bass...

...and The Toasters' hard-rocking, melodic and funny "Stuck On You."

To my surprise, I had only previously heard of a couple of the bands on the record; here's the complete song and artist listing...

...and you can -- and should -- order the album at the link HERE.

Act now, because only 500 copies are gonna be available to the anxiously awaiting public, and when they're gone, they're gone baby gone.

And a tip of the Floor Models hat to Martin Tremblay, who made it all happen.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I am so gassed about this release that I am leaving the blog post up for one more day. Regular new stuff resumes tomorrow.

2 comments:

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Hey Steve - a great compilation.
Funny thing while listening to the Tearjerkers song, I hear the Beach Boys reference, but I recognize perhaps the roots of the Ramones down the road -
Happy Saturday- rob

steve simels said...

Turns out the Tearjerkers singer later became the voice of SpongeBob.