Monday, June 20, 2022

Records I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved: An Occasional Feature (Special "Snoopy -- the Comic Strip Dog, Not the Rapper -- Would Have Flipped For This One" Edition)

From late 1966, and the B-side to their deserved hit single "Hello, Hello," please enjoy the vastly underrated Sopwith Camel and "Treadin'," one of the great lost folk-rock records of all time. Sort of a cross between the original Byrds and middle-period Zombies.

Don't get me started on the Camel; those guys were historically important for being the first of the Fillmore era hippie San Francisco bands to score a hit single, and their album pictured above -- which didn't come out for a year or so after their breakthough success for reasons that have been murky ever since -- is an utter masterpiece. God knows it's vastly superior on every level to both the debut LPs by their contemporaries the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane.

I should add that it was produced, brilliantly, by Erik Jacobsen (who helmed the records of the Lovin' Spoonful, Norman Greenbaum and Chris Isaak) and that to the best of my knowledge "Treadin'" did not appear on any actual version of the Camel album back in the day, nor was it available in a stereo mix previously. Discovering this version has been one of the biggest surprises I've had since I woke up in 2016 and learned that a mediocre James Bond Villain had mysteriously become president of these United States.

9 comments:

John K said...

That really was a terrific album and it's a damn shame this band never got the attention they've deserved

steve simels said...

Couldn’t agree more.

MJConroy said...

Bought the lp in the cutout bin way back when and love it.

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

SF was notoriously protective of their "cult" bands ( G/D, J/A...etc.)
A hit single, album first time out
(Moby Grape) was put under that same scrutiny I recall seeing them on Dick Ckark, Hullabaloo, etc.
Nice song, thx Steve -
rob

Anonymous said...

Better than "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off", I don't think so.



Doctored Captain Al

steve simels said...

I do.

pete said...

Sorry, Al. I hate to disagree with friends but Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, while good, is not great the way Surrealistic Pillow or Moby Grape are. It's a great idea for a band but not yet a great band.

Allan Rosenberg said...

I agree "Takes Off" was a good not great album but it was better than "Sopwith Camel".

And yes I have listened to the Sopwith Camel album a few times through the years. Maybe I'm just defending one of my favorite bands against all comers.

Now I have to bring up another topic: Steve, where is the Lou Reed Exhibition discussion? I'm very, very interested in your thoughts on the show.

Doctored Captain Al

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

One more thing about SF "favorite" bands at that time.
The Grass Roots were pileried by the Hipsters. God forbid having a hit song the first time out
rob